GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Newbie Seeks Advice. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/59675-newbie-seeks-advice.html)

builderbos 22-04-2004 11:08 PM

Newbie Seeks Advice.

Hello all,

I'm in upstate NY, and would like to start a garden this year of various foods.

Is there a site someone can recommend or book to help get me thru the basics?

Thanks.

Jim Elbrecht 23-04-2004 04:06 AM

Newbie Seeks Advice.

(builderbos) wrote:

Hello all,

I'm in upstate NY, and would like to start a garden this year of various foods.

Is there a site someone can recommend or book to help get me thru the basics?

Go to
http://yp.yahoo.com/ & enter
cooperative extension

There is at least one in every NY county. They have loads of
literature & local knowledge that can get you going. They might
even have some suggestions for locally written books.

Jim

Pat Kiewicz 23-04-2004 01:03 PM

Newbie Seeks Advice.

builderbos said:

Hello all,

I'm in upstate NY, and would like to start a garden this year of various foods.

Is there a site someone can recommend or book to help get me thru the basics?

For Newbies, I recommend the book _Square Foot Gardening_. (Though I think
the author is a little over-optimistic when it comes to replanting.single squares.)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Mark 23-04-2004 06:02 PM

Newbie Seeks Advice.

(builderbos) wrote in message . com...
Hello all,

I'm in upstate NY, and would like to start a garden this year of various foods.

Is there a site someone can recommend or book to help get me thru the basics?

Thanks.

I bought a copy of "The Vegetable Gardener's Bible" and have found it
to be very informative. It deals with raised beds, organic methods,
all kinds of companion planting tidbits, as well as detailed
information on just about any veggie or herb that you're likely to
want to plant. It also has a big section on pests and bugs, both good
and bad.

I highly recommend it.

Mark

builderbos 24-04-2004 04:03 AM

Newbie Seeks Advice.

(Mark) wrote in message . com...
(builderbos) wrote in message . com...
Hello all,

I'm in upstate NY, and would like to start a garden this year of various foods.

Is there a site someone can recommend or book to help get me thru the basics?

Thanks.

I bought a copy of "The Vegetable Gardener's Bible" and have found it
to be very informative. It deals with raised beds, organic methods,
all kinds of companion planting tidbits, as well as detailed
information on just about any veggie or herb that you're likely to
want to plant. It also has a big section on pests and bugs, both good
and bad.

I highly recommend it.

Mark

Thanks to you and the others...I'm taking all the advice to heart.
Looking forward to starting.