Old 23-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Jay Stalman

Default Black plastic sheeting to control weeds

I recently planted my vegetable garden using a product from Home Depot
which is a black plastic sheeting (actually it may be woven of some
sort of fiber material) It has a dull side and a shiny side. It is
held down by 6 inch long staples that you push into the soil. It is
supposed to prevent the growth of weeds. You cut an X in it to plant
the plants. I have soaker hoses underneath it. Any advice on the
proper use of this product? Is it necessary to cover over it with
bark mulch or wood chips? Thanks.
Jay S.