Old 01-05-2004, 04:19 AM
---Pete---

Default Tip: Eating Last Season's Frozen Peppers!

Everyone,
Have you ever frozen your harvest of green peppers
but upon defrosting them many months later the
taste is not as good as fresh picked? The taste is
sometimes on the bitter side with an after taste
that's hard to describe but not so great.

Well, here's a tip that will make those peppers
taste so much better after being frozen for
many months. I've done this with Jalapeno peppers
that were frozen in September and eaten in May
of the following year (8 months frozen). I just
discovered this technique and thought I'd share
it.

Harvest & Freezing the Peppers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1.) First and most important is to pick the peppers
when they are still young enough where the seeds
are still white. Don't let them stay on the plant
too long where the seeds get dark in color because
the peppers become more bitter in taste.

2.) After harvesting, immediately wash the peppers under
cold tap water and store them in plastic freezer bags.
Mark the bags with date harvested for future reference.
Freeze them immediately!

Thawing and Preparing the Peppers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1.) Take a few peppers from the freezer and rinse
them under warm tap water for a minute or so to have
them thaw out slightly to where they can be cut with
a knife.

2.) Cut off the tops and slice each pepper in half.
Then use a knife to remove the seeds and any of the
white ribs. The seeds should be white in color.
If they are dark in color it just means that they
were on the plant a bit too long and might be a
little on the bitter side.

3.) Rinse the peppers under cold tap water to flush
out any remaining seeds. Then place them on a small
portion of a grill you can hold in your hands while
safely holding over the burner of your GAS stove.
The peppers should be placed on the grill with the
skins on the top side.

4.) Set the flame to medium-high and hold the grill
of peppers directly over the flame just about 1 inch
from the flame. Cook the peppers quickly and just
to the point where you see them sweating on the
skins and to the point where the edges are just
starting to burn. It only takes a minute or so to
cook them.

5.) Turn off the flame and immediately hold grill
of peppers under cold tap water to cool them down.

6.) Eat the cooled peppers immediately or store
them in the refrigerator for a while if you prefer
to eat them cold.

7.) Enjoy the peppers. You should notice that the
taste is now very close to fresh picked without
that bitter or odd after taste usually associated
with frozen peppers.

Enjoy!
I usually do this with Jalapenos, Sweet Banana
Peppers, and Cheyenne Peppers. I typically have
them as a snack with slices of cheddar cheese
and pepperoni.

Try it and let me know how this worked for
you and what peppers you used.

PS: I've tried the same process above except I
microwaved them to heat them up but they tasted
horrible. I also tried frying them which is
better than the microwave but still not as
good as the flame grilling. Only flame grilling
seems to work but I'm not sure why.

Enjoy!

---pete---

Old 01-05-2004, 03:03 PM
MOM PEAGRAM

Default Eating Last Season's Frozen Peppers!

Thanks! we just had that experience last nite.

Old 01-05-2004, 07:04 PM
JRYezierski

Hold on folks,Lets get real easy and simple when freezing peppers and
asparagus.
Peppers pick them ,bring in house wipe clean/dry with terry towel/cotton
t-shirt.Make sure thay are dry(not dryed out) than either put them in your
freezer containers you use if you going to use the whole amount at once.Or
put them on a cookie sheet and than package once they get partially frozen.
If you have a vacum sealer I would do the prefreeze method(which I do)
Asparagus one difference give them a cold rinse dry them off cut them if
desired and follow same method as for peppers.
This method my grandmother had used for many years before freezing was the
way to do veggies.
You may also give aspragus a one minute blanch before the drying them off
process.You may want to try both ways and determine what you like best.
Peppers will not taste like fresh picked but than what veggie after being
frozen does?
Have fun
Jerome

Old 01-05-2004, 08:05 PM
---Pete---

On Sat, 1 May 2004 13:46:37 -0400, "JRYezierski"
wrote:

Peppers pick them ,bring in house wipe clean/dry with terry towel/cotton
t-shirt.Make sure thay are dry(not dryed out) than either put them in your
freezer containers you use if you going to use the whole amount at once.

-----
You don't actually wash them, and just wipe them clean?
If so, can you explain why?

Normally I rinse them under cold tap water and transfer the
dripping wet peppers into plastic freezer bags for freezing
immediately. If you feel this is an inncorrect method can you
explain why?

Thanks
---pete---

Old 02-05-2004, 03:08 PM
JRYezierski

"---Pete---"
wrote:

Peppers pick them ,bring in house wipe clean/dry with terry towel/cotton
t-shirt.Make sure thay are dry(not dryed out) than either put them in

your
freezer containers you use if you going to use the whole amount at once.

-----
You don't actually wash them, and just wipe them clean?
If so, can you explain why?

What is the need to wash them?
Have you sprayed some pesticide on them organic or chemical ?
If you have sprayed them than yes give them a good rinse but shake all water
off of them thats possible than wipe dry.
What was the amount of ice crystals did you have on your peppers frozen
dripping wet?
A lot I'm sure.The ice breaks down the cells and makes them mushy.Ever
notice when you bouhgt frozen veggies from the grocery store they don not
have ice on them or that some products have on the label "flash frozen". It
all has to do the keeping the veggi'sd cells in good shape so when you go to
use/eat them they will taste good.
With all those plastic bags your using ever think of putting them in a
empty box of say waffles so that when the veggies freeze the bag will have
shape to make your storage neater/easier.
Give it a try and let me know your results.I dont work for Tilla but do
have their Proffessional Model of Vacum Sealer and highly suggest that you
purchase of their vacum sealers.My freezer items have no more freezer
burn.It really does work like their informmertials say.
Your welcome
Jerome

Old 03-05-2004, 06:02 AM
---Pete---

On Sun, 2 May 2004 09:49:10 -0400, "JRYezierski"
wrote:

If you have sprayed them than yes give them a good rinse but shake all water
off of them thats possible than wipe dry.
What was the amount of ice crystals did you have on your peppers frozen
dripping wet?
A lot I'm sure.The ice breaks down the cells and makes them mushy.Ever
notice when you bouhgt frozen veggies from the grocery store they don not
have ice on them or that some products have on the label "flash frozen". It
all has to do the keeping the veggi'sd cells in good shape so when you go to
use/eat them they will taste good.

-----
JRY, that makes good sense. Thank you.
This year, I'll dry my peppers before freezing.
---pete---

Old 05-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Janice

On Sun, 02 May 2004 21:25:25 -0700, (Glenna Rose)
wrote:

writes:

What is the need to wash them?
Have you sprayed some pesticide on them organic or chemical ?

My mother-in-law and you must have grown up together. She never washed
anything homegrown with the reason that it had not been sprayed. Well,
that may work for her; however, I'd like to get off general dust as well
as bird droppings and anything else that might be floating around in the
air.

BTW, the friends whose garden she harvested from had a big dog adding
another thing to wash off (or at least wipe off).

Glenna

LOL I was gonna add that myself, plus there are not so friendly
critters in the soil in some areas.. worms which encyst and float
around and get splattered up onto food crops and yup lots of birds and
the droppings of some birds carry parasites in search of hosts. I
also recall a biology instructor who got married and went to Mexico on
his honeymoon, and he sheepishly admitted eating fresh apparently ill
washed or unwashed strawberries .. he should have KNOWN BETTER being a
biology instructor. He got amoebic dysentery for his lack of
troubling. That trip was forever etched in his memory!

I've often wondered if the home gardener could find a way to flash
freeze produce with either dry ice or liquid nitrogen.. or if they'll
even sell the lay person liquid nitrogen in any form other than the
new "wart removal" aerosol! ;-) Wonder if there would be some sort
of a container that wouldn't shatter .. pour some liquid nitrogen into
an unwanted ice chest and "dip" whole peppers into the super frozen
vapor .. working quickly and realizing if you drop it.. leave it there
until later.. don't go reaching in after it with your hand! LOL

Home frozen broccoli just isn't real great, unless maybe if it is
chopped, otherwise it's kind of rubbery. blech. I like green beans
cooked up then frozen, frozen just blanched.. green crayons .. double
blech.

Janice