GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cutworms and tomato plants ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/60399-cutworms-tomato-plants.html)

Al Dykes 02-05-2004 03:08 PM

Cutworms and tomato plants ?

How big do the plants have to get before I don't have to
worry about cutworms ?

What do cutworms eat when we're not feeding them :-)
--
Al Dykes
-----------

FarmerDill 02-05-2004 04:10 PM

Cutworms and tomato plants ?

How big do the plants have to get before I don't have to
worry about cutworms ?

What do cutworms eat when we're not feeding them :-)
--
Al Dykes

Cut worms have to bend themselves aroun a plant to cut it so maybe 3/8 of an
inch or so in diameter. they feed mostly on the wild stuff, numbers are higher
when sod or weeds overwinter.

Larry Blanchard 02-05-2004 06:07 PM

Cutworms and tomato plants ?

In article ,
says...

How big do the plants have to get before I don't have to
worry about cutworms ?

I cut the bottoms out of large coffee cans and put around the
plant, pushing about 1/3 into the soil. Works like a charm and
watering is easy - just fill the can.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Rez 02-05-2004 07:05 PM

Cutworms and tomato plants ?

In article , Larry Blanchard wrote:
In article ,
says...

How big do the plants have to get before I don't have to
worry about cutworms ?

I cut the bottoms out of large coffee cans and put around the
plant, pushing about 1/3 into the soil. Works like a charm and
watering is easy - just fill the can.

Any sort of plastic jug or jar works well too. Here it's not cutworms
that slice stuff off at the roots, it's mice and kangaroo rats (which
get thru the rabbit fence).

~REZ~