Old 02-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Gello

Default The results of Humanure research!

Hello all,
I just wanted to let you know that, from my research, I have discovered
that home composted humanure is safe, if handled and composted correctly.
Here is a VERY simplified description of how to do it.....

You must #1 Build compost bins similar to your typical wooden compost bins
usually in two to three stalls of four by four sections for the two to three
years it takes.

#2 compost it in high carbon medium with plenty of urine (pee and poo in a
container with a carbon source like sawdust and cover after every use).
Then you should cover every deposit in the bin with straw or some such
medium until it is totally covered.

#3 allow it to compost for a year, all the while adding your excrement every
day with the carbon medium, this will compost in a thermophilic manner
(check with a thermometer for high enough temp.) and then...

#4 allow it to "mellow" for another year and if there is a population with a
known illness then do it for two. Add worms to aid in the conversion if
they don't already exist. Eisenia fetida (the common "red wiggler" or
"redworm") is best for the role.

Of course, this is the extremely simplified version but no known common
pathogens will survive in harmful quantities with this method! You can and
there are plenty who do use this manure for edible foods and they do not get
sick!

Btw, please don't try it without getting *detailed* info on how to do it!
As with most things it is wise to learn as much about it as you can before
attempting it.

My thanks to everyone who helped!
Gello

Old 30-05-2004, 06:02 AM
Bill

Gello wrote:

Hello all,
I just wanted to let you know that, from my research, I have
discovered
that home composted humanure is safe, if handled and composted correctly.

I'm sure Gello won't mind if I post this:
http://www.weblife.org/humanure/default.html

Old 02-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Gello

Excellent! Thanks for posting this.

Gello

"Bill" wrote in message
Gello wrote:

Hello all,
I just wanted to let you know that, from my research, I have
discovered
that home composted humanure is safe, if handled and composted

correctly.

I'm sure Gello won't mind if I post this:
http://www.weblife.org/humanure/default.html

The Dr Hadwen Trust is the UK's leading medical research charity that funds and promotes exclusively non-animal research techniques to replace animal experiments Cerumen[_3_] United Kingdom 1 23-08-2007 04:57 PM
OGM vegetables - what do you think? found research results GH United Kingdom 0 25-04-2007 01:07 PM
The results of Humanure research. Gello Bamboo 0 02-05-2004 11:06 PM
Humanure martin United Kingdom 5 13-02-2004 11:28 AM
Humanure martin United Kingdom 0 12-02-2004 11:36 PM