GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gardening at the Oriental market (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/60473-gardening-oriental-market.html)

Frogleg 03-05-2004 01:03 PM

Gardening at the Oriental market

Went shopping for coconut milk and kim chee yesterday and came away
with 3 stalks of lemongrass to root, 1 tiny taro with a shoot already
sprouting (for free!), enough nice fresh ginger to eat and plant, and
some seeds in a hand-labeled ("que") plastic bag that I hope is Thai
basil. There's a slight language barrier at the market. :-)

As K-Mart was on the way home, and I needed some compost/manure for
the tomato plants someone gave me Saturday, I stopped there. Came away
with $1.19 pots of rosemary, chives (mine died), and sweet basil.
There are 4 basil plants in one 4" pot, so I got the youngest-looking
ones available and hope I can tease the roots apart for 4 separate
plants. K-Mart's plant suppliers must over-seed like crazy -- I also
got a 6-pack of Impatiens that has 4-5 plants in each cell. Believe
I'll let *them* just fight it out in a planter.

Yesterday it was sunny, breezy and 82F. This morning, the temperature
is dropping from the mid-60s and it's absolutely pouring rain. So much
for time in the garden.