GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   what to do with Palmetto Tree Fruits? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/60670-what-do-palmetto-tree-fruits.html)

Tim Morton 05-05-2004 06:03 PM

what to do with Palmetto Tree Fruits?

I have two small palmetto tree's in my front yard, that produce small orange
fruits.. they are pretty sour and stringy,
but was wondering if anyone has ever used these in any kind of recipes?

how 07-05-2004 06:04 AM

what to do with Palmetto Tree Fruits?

Hi,
Are you talking about saw palmetto, Serenoa repens? There is an extract used
for prostate gland problems that derives from these seeds. The Indians used
them as a food source, they fall into the edible but not eatable category
IMO.
The Sabel palmetto has much smaller black seeds that, to me, taste similar
to dates. Much drier but close.
hth, -_- how

Tim Morton 07-05-2004 05:09 PM

what to do with Palmetto Tree Fruits?

Actually i believe its a Sabal Palmetto, or Cabbage Palm... Ive found
information on cooking with the palms themselves,
but no luck on their fruits. They are very bitter and stringent...

how 10-05-2004 02:02 AM

what to do with Palmetto Tree Fruits?

Hello,
Sabal palmetto fruits are black when ripe.
hth -_- how