GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Squash Flowers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/60808-squash-flowers.html)

Jackee 07-05-2004 05:08 PM

Squash Flowers

Hi! I wanted to post today because of my squash.
Over night the bloomed into these beautiful bright yellow flowers. The
flowers are fairly large, reminding me of petunias. This is my first time
growing them, is this normal? Where do they go from here?

Mutti Pie 07-05-2004 08:02 PM

Squash Flowers

They are beautiful. Because we grow "organic" we like to stuff them
with some type of tuna or ham salad - tie the end with corn silks if
you have any or some pretty edible mint maybe. Then arange them on a
platter. This has two benefits: taste good
control of squash fruit "overrunnage"

have fun.

Loki 07-05-2004 09:03 PM

Squash Flowers

Just remember to use the male flowers and keep the female ones to
develop into squash. The italians like to batter and deep fry
zucchini flowers, maybe squash is similar.

--
Cheers,

downtime null 08-05-2004 03:05 PM

Squash Flowers

How do you tell the male flowers from the female?

Mutti Pie 08-05-2004 08:02 PM

Squash Flowers

downtime null wrote:
How do you tell the male flowers from the female?

This site has the information that may help you. Just FYI, I grow
zucchini specifically for the blossoms. I only like the 8 ball zuck
for stuffing = all others are for the blossoms!

Mutti

Loki 08-05-2004 10:04 PM

Squash Flowers

il Sat, 08 May 2004 13:34:24 GMT, downtime null ha scritto:

How do you tell the male flowers from the female?

Dunno, I think the female ones will have a little squash/zucchini by
the stalk end. I haven't grown any for years.
--
Cheers,

John Savage 09-05-2004 02:03 AM

Squash Flowers

"nina" writes:
They are beautiful.Soon they will set fruit.

Ah, but you've skipped the crucial pollination step. :-)

Encourage bees, else carry out pollination by hand.

Rez 09-05-2004 05:04 PM

Squash Flowers

In article , John Savage wrote:
"nina" writes:
They are beautiful.Soon they will set fruit.

Ah, but you've skipped the crucial pollination step. :-)

Encourage bees, else carry out pollination by hand.

Also remember that squash have male and female blossoms. They are easy
to tell apart: male blossoms have a thin stem, female blossoms have a
thick or bulgy stem. Only female blossoms develop into fruit (the fat
stem part is what grows into the fruit, at least in zucchini and
watermelon). The male blossoms will fall off as they age.

~REZ~

Rez 09-05-2004 05:04 PM

Squash Flowers

In article , downtime null m wrote:
How do you tell the male flowers from the female?

Male flowers have a thin stem. Female flowers have a thick or bulgy
stem. Once you examine a few of each, it'll become obvious which is
which.

Some squash plants only produce male flowers, I don't know why, but
I've seen this enough times to know it happens. Frex, I planted three
zucchini last year, all from the same seed pack, and only two ever had
female blossoms. The third had nothing but male blossoms.

~REZ~

nswong 09-05-2004 07:04 PM

Squash Flowers

Hi Rez,

Some squash plants only produce male flowers, I don't know why, but
I've seen this enough times to know it happens. Frex, I planted

three
zucchini last year, all from the same seed pack, and only two ever

had
female blossoms. The third had nothing but male blossoms.

If I'm not wrong, the main stem will just give male flower. So it can
be the third does not develop side stem.

I'm not good in English, but I do hope you understand what I try to
say.

Regards,
Wong

Larry Blanchard 10-05-2004 05:10 PM

Squash Flowers

In article ,
says...
If I'm not wrong, the main stem will just give male flower. So it can
be the third does not develop side stem.

That's interesting. Anyone else heard of this? Does this mean
we should pinch back the main shoot?

And BTW, last year I had almost all female flowers on 3 plants.
Can't win for losing :-).

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Rez 11-05-2004 08:05 AM

Squash Flowers

In article , "nswong" wrote:
Hi Rez,

Some squash plants only produce male flowers, I don't know why, but
I've seen this enough times to know it happens. Frex, I planted

three
zucchini last year, all from the same seed pack, and only two ever

had
female blossoms. The third had nothing but male blossoms.

If I'm not wrong, the main stem will just give male flower. So it can
be the third does not develop side stem.

Hmm. I have not ever seen that, that I remember. Maybe it applies to a
particular variety or climate?

I'm not good in English, but I do hope you understand what I try to
say.

Gotcha! :)

~REZ~

nswong 11-05-2004 06:04 PM

Squash Flowers

Hi Rez,

Hmm. I have not ever seen that, that I remember. Maybe it applies to

particular variety or climate?

Do you mean your squash does not do in this way, or you do not
notice it do in this way?

I do a search at my notes, but do not find it. It can be I read it
wrongly, confuse with something else, or the info does not correct.

I will observe it, if I plant squash in the future and still remember
this thing.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

"Rez" wrote in message
link.net...
In article , "nswong"

Hi Rez,

John Savage 13-05-2004 03:06 AM

Squash Flowers

"nswong" writes:
Some squash plants only produce male flowers, I don't know why, but
I've seen this enough times to know it happens. Frex, I planted

If I'm not wrong, the main stem will just give male flower. So it can

That's an interesting theory. I'll try to take note if I get a chance
to see some pumpkins to test it out.