Old 17-05-2004, 06:17 PM
Rez

Default tomato leaves eaten....

In article , Katra wrote:
In article . net,
(Rez) wrote:
I like pigeons, they're cool birds. We have a few dove here but no
pigeons. I've thought about starting a colony, at least once I get the
shop building closed off enough that they don't decide to live in
there!

Yeah, they will nest anywhere that provides convenient shelving, and it
can get rather poopy.

It already does with just sparrows nesting in there.

Being lazy, I usually feed my pigeons and chickens (when I have 'em,
none right now) dog food, same as the dogs eat.

That sounds expensive!
Sure won't hurt them tho'.
Chicken and pigeon feed is about $7.00 for 50 lbs.
Dog food is twice that...

But they eat half as much of it, and they do better. My 14 year old
pigeon was like a young bird and was fixin' to break the world record
(18 yrs; lost him cuz one of the dogs got out and got into the cage
and I had yard chickens that made it to 12 years old!

Most of my pigeons eat pretty much for free since they fly free, but
they do gather around for the morning scratch feedings in the henyard.

Why turn down free meals?

In fact when I toss 'em grain, they'll get all
excited the way birds do, rush over to the feed -- stop short and look
at me like "What's this crap? What are you trying to push on us??!"

Hee! ;-)
I don't blame them. Dog food is higher in protien!

And apparently far more appealing!

~REZ~
Old 17-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Rez

In article , Katra wrote:
Norway rats are probably smarter than roof rats, which is what we had
where I used to live. Roof rats are so bold they run around in packs
in broad daylight. They're not very big tho, a little smaller than
typical "pet rats".

These are as large or slightly larger than pet rats, and they are pretty
smart and bold. Mostly nocturnal, they don't always run away right away
when I find them, which is why I can hand-kill from time to time.

I just heard of another type of rat killing device, it's like a bug
zapper only for rodents; you put it in a piece of sewer pipe. Person
who told me about it said it works really well, but didn't know where
to get one.

I think they are catching on tho'. :-( It's been harder for me to
capture them lately.

Problem is, when you can only catch the dumb ones, it lets the smart
ones breed

~REZ~
Old 18-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Ray Drouillard

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"nswong" wrote:

Hi Katra,

I normally hate those things, but I'm also not afraid to just kill

the
rat when I find it in the glue trap so it won't suffer.

I don't like to kill animal, so I just wrap rat with newspaper and
throw it outside our fence to a bush, it will decompose to nothing
left within two months. The glue on rat will stick it with the
newspaper and make it unescapetable. I know this will make the rat
suffer, but as long as I don't see it with my eye, it's OK for me.
Think at it, most of my transplant are lost due to those rats, this
make me feel less guilty.

Rats here like to chew my transplant and even pull the transplant

out
from soil.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

I agree...
The rats have made it difficult to transplant corn sprouts! :-P
I usually just toss the trap into a bucket of water and walk away for

10
minutes or so. If I don't have to watch, I can handle it.

When I catch rats by hand, I grab them by the tail and hit them hard
against the nearest cinder block or tree, and that kills them.

The other morning, I found two nests and managed to kill one adult
female and 16 young rats that way. I watch carefully for nesting

sites
and clean them out about once every couple of weeks.

K.

If you want to do things by hand, one of those propane weed burners
ought to do well -- and you won't have to touch the animal.

Ray

Old 18-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Ray Drouillard

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Loki" wrote:

il Wed, 12 May 2004 00:43:14 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

I agree...
The rats have made it difficult to transplant corn sprouts! :-P
I usually just toss the trap into a bucket of water and walk away

for 10
minutes or so. If I don't have to watch, I can handle it.

When I catch rats by hand, I grab them by the tail and hit them

hard
against the nearest cinder block or tree, and that kills them.

The other morning, I found two nests and managed to kill one adult
female and 16 young rats that way. I watch carefully for nesting

sites
and clean them out about once every couple of weeks.

Gee where do you guys live? I have yet to *see* a rat. Let alone

need
to kill one. yuck what a topic....

Central Texas, suburbs...

I have chickens, they are attracted to the grain feed.
There is nothing I can do about that. I just have to find more

efficient
ways to kill the little SOB's. They are very prolific.

The general trick is to store the grain in a metal trash can or
something like that. Also, those dangling metal tube feeders work
well -- as long as the rat can't climb down whatever it is you dangle
the feeder from.

We had rats in our henhouse when I was a kid. My dad made a bait box
with a hole that's large enough for a rat to enter, but would keep a
chicken out. He put anticoagulant (warfarin) type rat poison into the
box every day. Sick and dying rats literally came out of the woodwork
after a few days.

It takes more than one dose to kill the rats, so the secret is to buy
five pounds or more of rat pellets, then keep the bait box filled. Just
putting out a box or two of d-con won't do it. The rats just get sick,
then get over it.

After a while, the dead rats stopped appearing and the poison pellets
stopped disappearing. We haven't had rat problems since then.

Ray

Old 18-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"nswong" wrote:

[...]

But they might escape! :-P
Enough get away as it is if I wait too long to check the nests.

If they are small enough, the chickens enjoy eating baby rats. G

I've gotten pretty good at the snatch them by the tail and bash them
killing method.

But, thanks anyhoo! :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 18-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Loki" wrote:

[...]

That would be ok, but a lot of grain ends up on the ground, especially
scratch feed. My storage is metal containers as rats would chew thru
plastic.

We had rats in our henhouse when I was a kid. My dad made a bait box
with a hole that's large enough for a rat to enter, but would keep a
chicken out. He put anticoagulant (warfarin) type rat poison into the
box every day. Sick and dying rats literally came out of the woodwork
after a few days.

Yes, that works. I use bar bait poisons and put them into suet cages,
and place them so that the chickens cannot get to them, or get to the
crumbs. You also have to make it so that the rats cannot carry off the
bars so the chickens might gain acess to them, hence the suet cages. :-)

It takes more than one dose to kill the rats, so the secret is to buy
five pounds or more of rat pellets, then keep the bait box filled. Just
putting out a box or two of d-con won't do it. The rats just get sick,
then get over it.

When I start poisoning, yes, I do use a lot of it.
The rats start dying after about 5 days and die near water containers
pretty much out in the open, which is nice as dead rast _stink_! :-P
Bleeding to death makes them thirsty.

After a while, the dead rats stopped appearing and the poison pellets
stopped disappearing. We haven't had rat problems since then.

Ray

Mine is periodic. I can wipe out the local population, but my neighbors
don't use any rat control and there is a lot of trash in the lots out
back. :-( Nothing I can do about that except for complaining to the
city, so the rats re-populate about every 2 years. This year is just
really bad!!! I am going on a major poison spree here shortly, and will
also set up some bucket drowning traps as was suggested earlier.

Thanks for the input. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 18-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Rez

In article , Katra wrote:
Placement is important... :-)
I breed pigeons for meat, so I don't want to scare off my breeding
stock! G

g When I keep pigeons (for dog training), every day when I feed them
I sing "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park" to remind them how lucky they
are to be cage pigeons, and not park pigeons I've had one reach 14
years old!!

~REZ~
Old 18-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Rez

In article , Katra wrote:
When I start poisoning, yes, I do use a lot of it.
The rats start dying after about 5 days and die near water containers
pretty much out in the open, which is nice as dead rast _stink_! :-P
Bleeding to death makes them thirsty.

Ah, good time to use the water traps to ensure the job

~REZ~
Old 19-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Rez

In article , Katra wrote:
I usually just toss the trap into a bucket of water and walk away for 10
minutes or so. If I don't have to watch, I can handle it.

LOL! Not me, I've had enough stuff destroyed by rats, mice, and
rabbits, that it doesn't bother me one bit to watch 'em suffer

When I catch rats by hand, I grab them by the tail and hit them hard
against the nearest cinder block or tree, and that kills them.

Works for me

The other morning, I found two nests and managed to kill one adult
female and 16 young rats that way. I watch carefully for nesting sites
and clean them out about once every couple of weeks.

Probably as good a control method as any.

Fortunately where I am now, there don't seem to be any rats, tho there
are mice in droves (they demolished my cauliflower, and those were BIG
plants, almost 3 feet tall) and of course the Starving Attack Rabbits.
I encourage "safe" snakes (tho I've got 14 rattlers in my trophy box,
in just two years time!) and just picked up a couple feral cats who
both have litters, hopefully enough kittens will not get eaten by owls
to grow up and become good mousers. You can't grow cats fast enough
around here...

Tho beware of snakes around chickens, I have personally SEEN gopher
snakes rob nests for eggs, and even fight the hen for the eggs! and
snakes can CLIMB!

~REZ~