Old 11-05-2004, 01:05 AM
SugarChile

Default tomato leaves eaten/now roses....

Hello Wong, I have been enjoying your posts and your contributions.

I agree with you that working to keep the soil healthy will lead to healthy
plants. I have clay soil, which is high in nutrients, but needs a lot of
organic material added. I have been working on my soil for almost twenty
years, and in places it is now black and rich. Most of my plants do well
with only the periodic addition of compost and mulch.

We have very high humidity here for extended periods in the summer, and many
rose varieties, even the resistant ones, fall prey to blackspot. We also
have a lot of Japanese beetles, which seem to favor roses above all else.
There are so many beautiful and wonderful things I can grow without
intensive care, that I decided to forgo roses and enjoy the ones my
neighbors grow.

Your grandmother's rose sounds wonderful, and I'm glad you were able to help
it thrive,

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

"nswong" wrote in message
Hi SugarChile,

I don't grow things,
such as roses, that need continual fussing over.

My family has a rose that came from my grandmother, and never give
flower after my grandmother pass aways. My father put a lot of effort
on it to just keep it alive, a lot of spry and fertiliser still end up
an unhelthy plant.

After my father pass away, one day I found that it's dead from the
root up, just the top of the plant still remain green. I lay the green
part to the ground, and manage to make it come out shoot and root.

In my hand, I never give it any fertiliser, and never spray, I even
don't care when something eating the leave. The only thing I do are
replace the soil yearly when the soil are lacking organic matter, and
remove the old branches to force it come out some new one. It now
giving flower and sometime will four or five flower at the sametime.

I do believe as long as we keep the soil good, and constantly remove
old plant/brances, it will stay helthy for most of the time. This
included those plant that people believe hard to maintain.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Old 12-05-2004, 09:02 AM
nswong

Hi SugarChile,

Hello Wong, I have been enjoying your posts and your contributions.

Thanks for your encouragement, I realy appreciate this. :-)

Recently I was depress and told myself I should keep quiet and go back
to work. Yesterday I saw your post but don't know how to reply, but
it do encourage me to do other posting.

We have very high humidity here for extended periods in the summer,

and many
rose varieties, even the resistant ones, fall prey to blackspot.

Here I stay are tropical area, we can prune at all time. In this case
I will remove all branches with blackspot up to the crown, even this
will make the rose branchless. The new branches come out after this
will be OK. If we do this early, we do avoid the need of making the
rose branchless.

Remove(thinning) old branches from time to time will help to avoid a
lot of problem in my experience. Normally I will remove the new shoot
from a branch after it give flower to stop the branch continua
growing, and remove the branch when the existing leave change to a
colour that indicate it's too old to function properly.

We also
have a lot of Japanese beetles, which seem to favor roses above all

else.

I think the plant will develop it own defend if we let it go on after
a few regrow. This work for me. But we need to prune it for help
balance the food it make and the food it useup. Sometime we may need
to remove all buds to stop the new grow/flower for a while to
accumulate the food to help it survive.

There are so many beautiful and wonderful things I can grow without
intensive care, that I decided to forgo roses and enjoy the ones my
neighbors grow.

I do this as well. If the species does not work well at my land, I
just look for another species. But if I really need it, I will try to
develop my old ecotype.

Your grandmother's rose sounds wonderful, and I'm glad you were able

to help
it thrive,

I do propagate it with the cutting I get when pruneing, and remove
those does not grow well. I hope this will help to develop a ecotype
that live better at my land.

Thanks,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m