Old 18-05-2004, 06:07 AM
Anonymous

Default Why I don't post a valid email address

Some time back somebody got all over me on this list over not posting a
valid return address. What I have posted below is proof that the email
addresses on this list are 1) harvested and 2) spammed.

May 17 23:48:34 genesis postfix/smtpd[7940]: 291D828003B: reject: RCPT
from 24-205-248-109.gb-cres.charterpipeline.net[24.205.248.109]: 454
organic-earth.com: Helo command rejected: You are not in
organic-earth.com;
proto=ESMTP helo=organic-earth.com

The above entry from my logfile (I run my own mailserver on Linux) is for
an email that attempted to pretend that it had originated within the
confines of my home network. It was sent to an address I used to use when
posting here -- and only here.

Hopefully that turkey will pick up his own address from this posting and
spam himself.

rec.gardens.edible is like a friendly village ... that is regularly
plundered by the villains surrounding it. Be governed accordingly. Be
aware that it only takes a short PERL script to 'unmunge' addresses that
are cleverly disguised with the phrases 'nospam', 'spambait', 'munged' and
so on. You'll have to be more inventive than that.

Bill

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)

Old 18-05-2004, 09:06 AM
bill

Anonymous wrote:
[...]

Yup, that's why Dave Null answers all my email at this address.

Bill
Old 18-05-2004, 04:08 PM
belly

On Tue, 18 May 2004 00:59:12 -0400 in
, Anonymous
graced the world with this thought:

Some time back somebody got all over me on this list over not posting a
valid return address. What I have posted below is proof that the email
addresses on this list are 1) harvested and 2) spammed.

There's no need for proof, anyone who doesn't think they are is living
in dreamland. Even the test newsgroups are scanned. Hell, the majority
of people on usenet use a munged or invalid address, anyone raving
about someone not doing it needs a mental check. I've always figured
that the people that get upset are the ones who sent you some abusive
crap, and it bounced... why not just answer in the newsgroup? If I
don't ask for email, someone sending me something unsolicited is just
as annoying as someone that wants to sell me penis enlargement pills.

I stopped using a valid address after I started getting abusive email
from people who were sweetness and light in the newsgroup they came
from. One person threatened to kill me because I disagreed with her
over a food allergy. That one got sent to the FBI and her ISP. Oh, and
when I took highly abusive email with language that would make a
longshoreman uncomfortable, and posted them in the newsgroup, the dumb
asses would invariably threaten to sue me because somehow they figured
this was "their property," and couldn't be posted without their
permission. Yeah, go pay a lawyer $5000 and do it, asshole. We'll see
what happens. Sorry, it's on my computer, it's now my property.

The conclusion: There's a very high incidence of morons on usenet.
Old 19-05-2004, 05:03 AM
Bob S.

Anonymous wrote in message news:pan.2004.05.18.04.59.08.727033@notarealserve r.com...
Some time back somebody got all over me on this list over not posting a
valid return address. What I have posted below is proof that the email
addresses on this list are 1) harvested and 2) spammed.

rec.gardens.edible is like a friendly village ... that is regularly
plundered by the villains surrounding it. Be governed accordingly. Be
aware that it only takes a short PERL script to 'unmunge' addresses that
are cleverly disguised with the phrases 'nospam', 'spambait', 'munged' and
so on. You'll have to be more inventive than that.

Bill

It's not just rec.gardens.edible, it's any group on Google, Ebay, or
any other web site that posts your address of anyone to see. That's
why I use MSN's free hotmail addresses - they can filter out the spam
and dump all messages after a few days. Keeps my home computer spam
free. If anyone wants to send me a e-mail message they can post a
message telling me to check my e-mail.

Bob
Old 19-05-2004, 01:03 PM
PA-ter

A lotta crap gets dumped on you from e-bay every time you go there, I
don't anymore, & most websites drop cookies on you almost wherever you
visit. The trick that worked for me was that I changed providers so
that all the old places that I was already registered into still have
my old address & still work. Good luck.

Moderator announce: Moderator changes; valid email addresses Phyllis and Jim Ponds (moderated) 1 06-09-2007 05:34 AM
email extractor , site , solutions , email based marketing , email marketing solution , email extractor , newsletter software , mass email , e-mail marketing , email marketing solutions , bulk email software , web advertising , email marketing , mark Nuclear Incorporation. www.nuclear-inc.com United Kingdom 0 05-04-2007 09:36 PM
email address rick Orchids 1 11-04-2003 10:20 PM
email address removed Keith D United Kingdom 1 10-04-2003 10:20 PM
Change of email address Mike United Kingdom 0 14-03-2003 07:32 PM