Old 20-05-2004, 06:11 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default broccoli pest? 1/8 to 1/4 inch long green catepillars

My broccoli all have little holes in the leaves. I've just
hand-cleaned the undersides of tiny green catepillars. Which pest is
this? This is my first year with brocolli and this is a new bug for
me. They are very fond of the broccoli but arent' on any of the
cauliflower yet(right next to broccoli, but they are still
signifcantly smaller plants though).

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
Old 20-05-2004, 06:13 PM
DigitalVinyl

DigitalVinyl wrote:

My broccoli all have little holes in the leaves. I've just
hand-cleaned the undersides of tiny green catepillars. Which pest is
this? This is my first year with brocolli and this is a new bug for
me. They are very fond of the broccoli but arent' on any of the
cauliflower yet(right next to broccoli, but they are still
signifcantly smaller plants though).

After a couple of web page searches found it.

"Diamondback worms are small, pale, green caterpillars that are
pointed on both ends. The moth is gray, with diamond-shaped markings
when the wings are closed. The damage caused by diamondback larvae
looks like shot holes in the leaf."

The shot holes is the dead ringer for what I'm seeing.

I'll have to start checking them every morning.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
Old 20-05-2004, 09:03 PM
FarmerDill

Most of us just call them Euopean cabbage worms , in polite company anyway.
Fortunate they are easily controlled with the biological larvacide Bt. (DIPEL
or Thuricide)
Old 20-05-2004, 09:03 PM
zxcvbob

DigitalVinyl wrote:
My broccoli all have little holes in the leaves. I've just
hand-cleaned the undersides of tiny green catepillars. Which pest is
this? This is my first year with brocolli and this is a new bug for
me. They are very fond of the broccoli but arent' on any of the
cauliflower yet(right next to broccoli, but they are still
signifcantly smaller plants though).

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener

Cabbage loopers. Have you seen any white moths flying around?
(actually, they are butterflies and not moths)

Bob
Old 21-05-2004, 02:03 AM
Steve

FarmerDill wrote:

Most of us just call them Euopean cabbage worms , in polite company anyway.
Fortunate they are easily controlled with the biological larvacide Bt. (DIPEL
or Thuricide)

Diamondback moths are different but BT will get them too. Regular
sprayings of BT will completely control these, cabbage worms and
cabbage loopers.

Steve

Old 22-05-2004, 02:07 AM
someone

DigitalVinyl wrote in message
My broccoli all have little holes in the leaves. I've just
hand-cleaned the undersides of tiny green catepillars. Which pest is
this? This is my first year with brocolli and this is a new bug for
me. They are very fond of the broccoli but arent' on any of the
cauliflower yet(right next to broccoli, but they are still
signifcantly smaller plants though).

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener

You have one of three species of what "we English" call Cabbage Whites:
1) large cabbage white buttefly (Pieris brassicae); 2) small cabbage white
butterfly (Pieris rapae); 3) cabbage moth (Mamestra brassicae).

All have two generations during summer. Caterpillars of the large cabbage
white are yellow with black markings. The small cabbage whie is pale green
with a velvety appearance. Cabbage moth caterpillars are green or brown
without any obvious hair covering. Removing the caterpillars by hand is
recommended, alternatively spray plants with either permethrin or pyrethrin.

I'm an organic gardener, and I find that putting a mesh tent (my mother's
old lace curtains) over the plants prevents the butterflies from getting to
the plants. They're too stupid to look under the net.

If they do get under and lay their eggs (little yellow things on the
undersides of leaves), I just rub them off. And the butteflies get trapped
so you can kill them.

OK, I know you can't do it for five acres or whatever, but this method works
fine in a kitchen garden.

s.

Old 26-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Steve

zxcvbob wrote:

Cabbage loopers. Have you seen any white moths flying around?
(actually, they are butterflies and not moths)

Bob

Yes, but Diamondback moths are actually moths.