Old 21-05-2004, 08:05 PM
STEVEN STEIN

Default Insect Help Please

I have something attacking the leaves of my white eggplants but not the
tomatoes, zuchs, lettuce or cucumbers. Suggestions on how to combat
appreciates.

Steve

Old 21-05-2004, 10:05 PM
someone

STEVEN STEIN wrote in message
I have something attacking the leaves of my white eggplants but not the
tomatoes, zuchs, lettuce or cucumbers. Suggestions on how to combat
appreciates.

Steve

Can you describe the look of the damage? Otherwise it's hard to say. Could
be a vine weevil. They only come out at night, and chomp big holes in your
leaves. If you've got your plants in pots, one of your pots could have vine
weevil grubs in it. Go out at midnight with a flashlight and see if you can
see these beetles on your leaves. For more info, Google vine weevils.

OTOH, it could be slugs or snails, depends on the country you live in.

s.

Old 22-05-2004, 12:04 AM
STEVEN STEIN

I'm in NY. One plant has small holes in the leaves, the other has one leaf
that is almost completely eaten (holes everywhere). They are in the ground,
not in pots. From the photos of what vine weevils do, I don't believe that
is them. Not much damage on edges - more in the full leaf part.

Old 22-05-2004, 01:06 AM
someone

Sounds like slugs or snails to me, probably not caterpillars. Get out there
at night around midnight with a flashlight and have a look, that's when it's
all happening. If you find anything, Kill It!

If the edges are jagged, it could be birds, but I doubt it.

Sorry I can't advise further as I don't live in N.America, and your pests
are different from ours.

s.

Old 22-05-2004, 01:07 AM
SugarChile

Small holes are probably the work of flea beetles. They look like small
black dots, and jump very quickly when threatened, hence the "flea" part. I
haven't yet found a good low impact remedy for them, aside from squishing.
It helps to delay planting, as the beetles seem to reach a population peak
in late spring/early summer. Large holes could be slugs. Go out after dark
and check around. Sluggo works very well, and is not toxic to birds and
mammals. A quick fix, until you can get some Sluggo, is a mix of one part
household ammonia and 4 parts water, put into a labeled spray bottle and
sprayed directly on the slugs. It dissolves their slime coat in a very
satisfying way.

Something I've seen on my eggplants for the first time this year is a small
green worm of the type we've always called an inchworm--someone probably
knows the correct name for it. Squishing works well for those also.

Earwigs are another possibility. Check for them at night also. Soap spray,
a direct hit, works well on them.

The good news is that if you can get your transplants through the first few
weeks, they start to grow rapidly and toughen up, and seem to be much less
attractive to pests.

Good luck,
Sue

--

www.suereno.com

Old 22-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Pat Kiewicz

STEVEN STEIN said:

I have something attacking the leaves of my white eggplants but not the
tomatoes, zuchs, lettuce or cucumbers. Suggestions on how to combat
appreciates.

Flea beetles, most likely.

Mulch with leaf mold: sprinkleground coffee around the base of the plants;
spray with a mixture of garlic, hot pepper and coffee.

Neem extracts / neem oil (may list active ingredient Azadirachtin) can be used
safely.

Usually only a problem early in the season. It's best to hold off planting
eggplants until much later than tomatoes and peppers. Usually they can
outgrow the first attacks by flea beetles if planted in rich soil when the
weather is reliable hot.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 23-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Pen

You might have potato beetles. They usually go for my potatoes,
occasionally my eggplants if we get a cold spring. For some reason,
they always leave my peppers and tomatoes alone. Maybe that's dessert
-- I usually pick them off around first course.

http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom.../veg/ef312.htm
http://res2.agr.ca/fredericton/stud/3500/biocpb_e.htm
Old 24-05-2004, 01:06 AM
STEVEN STEIN

think they are the fleas - I went out the other night and looked underside.
A few small black dots and one very tiny light green grasshopper look alike.
A few of the major leaves are pretty much eaten - do you think the plants
will survive and what should I spray them with?
Thanks... Steve

om...

Old 24-05-2004, 02:05 AM
Beecrofter

"STEVEN STEIN" wrote in message ...
I have something attacking the leaves of my white eggplants but not the
tomatoes, zuchs, lettuce or cucumbers. Suggestions on how to combat
appreciates.

Steve

Shot holes?
Flea beatles.
Old 25-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Guy Bradley

"SugarChile" wrote in message
Small holes are probably the work of flea beetles. They look like

small
black dots, and jump very quickly when threatened, hence the "flea"

part. I
haven't yet found a good low impact remedy for them, aside from

squishing.

"STEVEN STEIN" wrote in message
I have something attacking the leaves of my white eggplants but

not the
tomatoes, zuchs, lettuce or cucumbers. Suggestions on how to

combat
appreciates.

I agree with other posters that flea beetles are a good possibility
for your pest. They love eggplant most of all and don't really damage
anything else. They can eat enough to destroy young eggplant.

My remedy is to cover the plants until they are big enough to fend for
themselves. I made cages out of wire cloth - actually I used some
leftover tomato wire, but any similar material will do. I then made a
cover out of floating row cover, which is a fabric with tiny holes but
which admits enough light that plants will grow under it. A simple
stitching will make a suitable cover. Leave some wires sticking out
below to support the cage (by pushing them into the ground). Use your
best judgement on when to remove the cages.

I hope this helps,

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO
zone 6

Please identify this insect pest Daniel B. Martin North Carolina 5 31-07-2006 09:16 PM
insect i.d. please a.c. United Kingdom 5 03-07-2006 07:48 PM
Insect Spray For Tree Suggestions, Please. (leaves being eaten) Robert11 Lawns 5 01-05-2006 10:56 PM
Could someone please ID this insect for me? Mack McKinnon Texas 6 12-12-2004 04:17 PM
Frightening insect - ID Please! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 14 30-08-2004 06:16 PM