Old 23-05-2004, 07:17 AM
Liashi

Default is this the weed that's been popping up?

Hi again,

I have this thing popping up in my garden now, and I think it's Cotton
Morningglory (Ipomoea cordatotriloba for all you picky folks. -_-) At
least, based on this pictu
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/ipott.htm
I'm not really in the area this thing is supposed to grow in tho . . .

The sprouts I'm seeing look like that however, but I have yet to see a
real leaf (like on the pic there.) What are the chances that this is
some kind of other plant? Is the first pair of leaves always enough to
tell a plant from others? (Within the same genus?) And I thought those
things were the seeds I planted. . . . Sigh.

Are the any resourses, paper or digital, that you would recommend for
identifying unwanted plants?
Old 23-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Liashi said:

I have this thing popping up in my garden now, and I think it's Cotton
Morningglory (Ipomoea cordatotriloba for all you picky folks. -_-) At
least, based on this pictu
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/ipott.htm
I'm not really in the area this thing is supposed to grow in tho . . .

If the cotyledons (seed leaves) look like that, it could be one of several
'morning glory' species. You would have to wait for the true leaves, and
might even have to wait for the vine or flowers to clinch the ID.

The sprouts I'm seeing look like that however, but I have yet to see a
real leaf (like on the pic there.) What are the chances that this is
some kind of other plant? Is the first pair of leaves always enough to
tell a plant from others? (Within the same genus?) And I thought those
things were the seeds I planted. . . . Sigh.

With new-to-you plants that are directly seeded into the garden, it's very
useful to sprout some in sterile potting soil first so you can see what the
sprouts look like. That will help you differentiate them from almost all of
the weeds that might turn up in the garden.

Are the any resourses, paper or digital, that you would recommend for
identifying unwanted plants?

I've used everything from a field guide to wildflowers (in which almost
every weed you find will turn out to be 'alien' to North America) to the
Internet.

One place I have bookmarked is:
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/weeds_common.html

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 26-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Liashi

With new-to-you plants that are directly seeded into the garden, it's very
useful to sprout some in sterile potting soil first so you can see what the
sprouts look like. That will help you differentiate them from almost all of
the weeds that might turn up in the garden.

Now wshy didn't I think of that . . .

Are the any resourses, paper or digital, that you would recommend for
identifying unwanted plants?

I've used everything from a field guide to wildflowers (in which almost
every weed you find will turn out to be 'alien' to North America) to the
Internet.

One place I have bookmarked is:
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/weeds_common.html

This looks nice, and I hadn't seen it yet. Thanks much! (For your
suggestions and info!)

--Liashi
Old 27-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Mark

(Liashi) wrote in message . com...
Hi again,

I have this thing popping up in my garden now, and I think it's Cotton
Morningglory (Ipomoea cordatotriloba for all you picky folks. -_-) At
least, based on this pictu
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/ipott.htm
I'm not really in the area this thing is supposed to grow in tho . . .

The sprouts I'm seeing look like that however, but I have yet to see a
real leaf (like on the pic there.) What are the chances that this is
some kind of other plant? Is the first pair of leaves always enough to
tell a plant from others? (Within the same genus?) And I thought those
things were the seeds I planted. . . . Sigh.

Are the any resourses, paper or digital, that you would recommend for
identifying unwanted plants?

I've got those little buggers popping up all OVER my garden. I've
been wondering what they are, too, especially since they weren't there
last year.

Since I know they're morning glories, I'll transplant some of them to
the side of my garden shed and let them grow up the trellis there.
Oughtta be pretty.

Mark
Old 31-05-2004, 02:04 AM
Liashi

I've got those little buggers popping up all OVER my garden. I've
been wondering what they are, too, especially since they weren't there
last year.

Since I know they're morning glories, I'll transplant some of them to
the side of my garden shed and let them grow up the trellis there.
Oughtta be pretty.

Mark

My Mom planted them last year, but I guess they grow wild to then.
Had to pull one plant due to limited space, but I moved the other two
over into an empty spot. (I have more trouble with grass growing in
there than anything else.) So if it's not grass, why not keep it? But
I'll prolly watch to be sure it doesn't go to seed on me.... Hey, I'm
in my garden almost every day. Wouldn't want an infestation next year.

Old 31-05-2004, 04:07 AM
Janice

On 27 May 2004 09:10:42 -0700, (Mark) wrote:

(Liashi) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Noooooooooo don't do it!! If you did not plant morning glories, and
let them go to seed, in a specific area, and you have these all over
the yard, they're probably not something you want growing in your
yard, like BINDWEED.. weed morning glories...cute little white
blossoms, spread like wildfire, seem to be perennial, have roots that
seem to grow to the core of the earth! They do not kill easily once
they're past the seedling stage as the roots store energy and you just
do NOT want them in your yard, don't take the chance that what you're
letting grow is a weed, if you want morning glories that are "tame"
spend a buck or two and buy some seeds, nick the coat a bit soak them
and plant them, then you'll KNOW it's not a weed before you've let it
take hold!

Strangling morning glories aka bindweed, is the one thing the chickens
couldn't effectively kill even after they'd killed blackberries, and
raspberries! It would grow up in the middle of the thorny gooseberry
bush canes to escape the chickens, so even after letting the chickens
completely have the yard for the year, while it killed many weeds and
fertilized the yard, and it's amazing how chicken feet can completely
compact the top of the soil, being that it has a fair clay percentage,
sealed the surface of the soil. I would go out and dig for the
chickens and to break up that seal on the surface. All I had to do
was show the chickens the shovel and they'd made the connection shovel
= worms! One in particular would RUN like mad when she saw it and
would follow that shovel wherever it went!

Anyway.. just one viewpoint on those "morning glories" .. Don't doooo
it! ;-)

Janice
Old 31-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Glenna Rose

writes:

Strangling morning glories aka bindweed, is the one thing the chickens
couldn't effectively kill even after they'd killed blackberries, and
raspberries! It would grow up in the middle of the thorny gooseberry
bush canes to escape the chickens, so even after letting the chickens
completely have the yard for the year, while it killed many weeds and
fertilized the yard, and it's amazing how chicken feet can completely
compact the top of the soil, being that it has a fair clay percentage,
sealed the surface of the soil. I would go out and dig for the
chickens and to break up that seal on the surface. All I had to do
was show the chickens the shovel and they'd made the connection shovel
= worms! One in particular would RUN like mad when she saw it and
would follow that shovel wherever it went!

While my soil doesn't compact with the chickens (instead it is beautifully
"disturbed"), I have the same experience with my chickens . . . they come
running when they see the shovel or even the rake. Also, if I move
*anything*, they are right there to see what goodies will appear. The
ladies are soooo funny.

Last weekend, when the load of steer manure was delivered, the ladies were
in heaven as they started scratching for corn and bugs. Without doubt,
they were the happiest chickens in the county, perhaps the state! LOL

Yesterday, while I was unloading barkdust out front, the ladies got out. I
had forgotten to securely fasten the gate after dropping off two bales of
straw in back, going to go back and do it after parking the truck.
Neighbors saw them and told me. I had my back to them and was
concentrating on unloading barkdust . . . *and* they were quiet. It was
like they knew what mischief makers they were! Six of them were waddling
around the front yard, slowly making their way toward me. Thankfully,
they were the only ones out and stayed together as well as being very
cooperative about going back down the alley and into the RV gate! Maybe
they were feeling neglected and wanted to let me know. LOL. One
neighbor, about to leave for work, came over to help . . . he is a county
deputy sheriff! These chickens are probably the only ones chased by a
deputy, at least in our town. g

Pets can be so much fun! These chickens have been great entertainment as
well as producing yummy eggs.

Anyway.. just one viewpoint on those "morning glories" .. Don't doooo
it! ;-)

I so agree with Janice's thoughts on this!!!

Janice

Old 01-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Liashi

Anyway.. just one viewpoint on those "morning glories" .. Don't doooo
it! ;-)

I so agree with Janice's thoughts on this!!!

Janice

Alright, alright. My Dad lost his job recently, so now we're not
allowed to buy "luxury" items such as plants. If only my parents could
see what my mind has turned the backyard into. So I'll pull them them.
Can they be put in a compost pile, or are they too dangerous for that?