Old 28-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Al Dykes

Default What's the quickest way to lower PH on my tomatoes

It looks like I need to lower the PH (more acidic) around my tomato
plants. The're almost 18 inches high and are budding. The soil is
heavy clay that has had lots of compost turned in. The Ph kit says
I'm at 7.5.

I assume that I can add someting that will have some effect on this
year's crop. What can I do right now, and for next year.

--
Al Dykes
-----------
Old 29-05-2004, 02:06 AM
someone

Al Dykes wrote in message
It looks like I need to lower the PH (more acidic) around my tomato
plants. The're almost 18 inches high and are budding. The soil is
heavy clay that has had lots of compost turned in. The Ph kit says
I'm at 7.5.

I assume that I can add someting that will have some effect on this
year's crop. What can I do right now, and for next year.
Al Dykes
-----------
adykes at p a n i x . c o m

You need to add more organic matter to bring the soil back to a more neutral
pH range. Organic matter produces acids when it decomposes.
So, compost is the answer.

s.

Old 29-05-2004, 07:02 PM
M. Tiefert

someone wrote:

It looks like I need to lower the PH (more acidic) around my tomato
plants. The're almost 18 inches high and are budding. The soil is
heavy clay that has had lots of compost turned in. The Ph kit says
I'm at 7.5.

You need to add more organic matter to bring the soil back to a more neutral
pH range. Organic matter produces acids when it decomposes.
So, compost is the answer.

Right - changing the pH slowly is better than taking drastic measures. A
pH of 7.5 is not ideal for tomatos, but it's also not too bad (assuming
that you're a home gardener, meaning you're not trying to squeeze the
maximum yield out of them.) They'll probably be fine - is the leaf color OK?

cheers,

Marj
--
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Mediterranean Garden Advice and Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden/
Old 13-07-2004, 11:12 AM
Registered User

Location: West-Midlands UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Al Dykes
It looks like I need to lower the PH (more acidic) around my tomato
plants. The're almost 18 inches high and are budding. The soil is
heavy clay that has had lots of compost turned in. The Ph kit says
I'm at 7.5.

I assume that I can add someting that will have some effect on this
year's crop. What can I do right now, and for next year.

--
Al Dykes
adykes at p a n i x . c o m
you could add Sulpher chips next year, they`ll work for a good year or so before you need to add more, powdered sulpher is also a faster way but is short lived.

as mentioned also, Coffee grinds work well
Say it with Flower, Give her a Triffid