Old 08-06-2004, 05:27 PM
Brigitte J.

Default teeny-tiny grasshoppers...

I have these tiny little grasshoppers hanging around in my garden. They
seem to be concentrated in the area where I have my cabbage, cauliflower and
brussel sprouts growing.

Anyone know what these are? What can I do to get rid of them? I think they
are eating the leaves on the above-mentioned plants. There are holes in all
the leaves. My bean plants also have lots of holes in their leaves.

Any advice is appreciated.

BTW, I'm in zone 5 - southeast Nebraska

Thanks,
Brigitte

Old 08-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Pen

Leafhopper:

http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/~dietrich/Leafhome.html

Flea beetle:

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/ext...s/fleabeet.htm

Try insecticidal soap for either.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Steve

.... or they could just be baby grasshoppers. They do start out life
quite small.

Steve

Old 08-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Danny Byrne

Brigitte

Maybe you could try spraying late afternoon or early morning with double
strength garlic and or pepper spray...they don't like that ....Or I use the
two finger method if I can catch them...and squash and most times the birds
in my garden get a free meal...

Another tactic is growing a distractor crop nearby which they can devour
while your veges grow safely...

And if you have trouble with white butterfly on your brassicas, I find the
best organic cure is 1 tablespoon of molasses to 1 litre of water and spray
weekly...they hate that and the molasses is good for your soil...

Hope this helps...

Danny

Old 09-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Mark

"Brigitte J." wrote in message ...
I have these tiny little grasshoppers hanging around in my garden. They
seem to be concentrated in the area where I have my cabbage, cauliflower and
brussel sprouts growing.

Anyone know what these are? What can I do to get rid of them? I think they
are eating the leaves on the above-mentioned plants. There are holes in all
the leaves. My bean plants also have lots of holes in their leaves.

Any advice is appreciated.

BTW, I'm in zone 5 - southeast Nebraska

Thanks,
Brigitte

This solution may be more than you want to do, but since I got a Rhode
Island Red chick (who is now nearly full-grown) I haven't seen any
pests in the garden above the one foot high level. She just roams the
garden, pecking at weeds and bugs, while, oddly, leaving the food
crops largely alone. Next year I'm going to try Brussel sprouts
again; last year they were decimated by cabbage worms early on and
never recovered.

Of course, the neighbors think I'm a little nuts since we live in the
middle of town, but I figure that she's a pet and not livestock.

Mark

Tiny tiny blue flowers Paddy's Pig[_2_] Garden Photos 2 22-03-2008 05:39 AM
Teeny tiny bugs rosemary Orchids 4 04-07-2004 09:03 PM
teeny tiny red bugs on sunflower Julia DeGraf Gardening 1 13-05-2004 02:02 AM
Where to get teeny tiny handcuffs Axolotl Ponds 4 03-09-2003 06:32 AM
Teeny, tiny "worms" in my garden Mark Edible Gardening 7 26-05-2003 03:56 PM