GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Onions & Haircuts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/63778-onions-haircuts.html)

Chris 09-06-2004 07:09 PM

Onions & Haircuts

After my onion seedlings came up, and while they were still in flats,
I gave them haircuts to stimulate bulb growth. Now that they're in
the gaden, shouldn't I be doing the same thing? I don't see any
reason I can't clip them to about 4 or 5 inches and let all that
energy go into bulb formation.

Any thoughts?

FarmerDill 09-06-2004 08:09 PM

Onions & Haircuts

What energy? It is the tops that convert sunlight into energy. Plants don't do
well if you remove too many of their leaves.