Old 12-06-2004, 04:08 AM
Boyk7808

Default Homemade Deer Repellent

Haven't tried it, but a local nursery here in Texas is passing these
out.

4 tablespoons ground cayene pepper
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup peeled garlic
1 cup clear ammonia
1 cup Murphy's oil soap
1 bar Ivory hand soap (optional)

Boil cayenne pepper in vinegar for a minute or two, then strain
through a coffee filter. In a blender, puree the garlic in 2 cups
water, then strain the mixture through another filter.

Combine the two filtered liquids with the ammonia and oil soap in a 3
gallon garden sprayer. Fill the sprayer to the maximum level with
water, and spray mixture around all areas you want to protect. For
extra stickiness, float the bar of Ivory soap in the sprayer.

For maximum effectiveness, reapply weekly as well as after rains. If
deer browsing is intense, spray more frequently.

From Fine Gardening, August 2001, Tips Department

Dave
Old 13-06-2004, 06:03 AM
Ray Drouillard

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Bob S. wrote:
(Boyk7808) wrote in message

. com...

[...]

From Fine Gardening, August 2001, Tips Department

Dave

Double ought buck in a twelve gauge works pretty well also, and you
don't have to worry about reapplying after a rain.

Bob S.

I wonder if a high-powered .177 pellet gun would keep them away

without
really doing any damage.

Bob

The pellet will go into the animal's flesh and stay there for life.
'tis kinder to just kill it and be done with it.

Of course, if you live in an area that frowns upon firearms, you can
always use a bow.

I use an electric fence. :-)

Ray

Old 13-06-2004, 08:02 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Bob S. wrote:
(Boyk7808) wrote in message

. com...

[...]

From Fine Gardening, August 2001, Tips Department

Dave

Double ought buck in a twelve gauge works pretty well also, and you
don't have to worry about reapplying after a rain.

Bob S.

I wonder if a high-powered .177 pellet gun would keep them away

without
really doing any damage.

Bob

The pellet will go into the animal's flesh and stay there for life.
'tis kinder to just kill it and be done with it.

Of course, if you live in an area that frowns upon firearms, you can
always use a bow.

I use an electric fence. :-)

Ray

I had a friend that tried a hotwire...

The stupid deer touched the wire, panicked, got all tangled up in it and
tore out nearly 50' of wire and posts. :-(

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 13-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Ray Drouillard

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Bob S. wrote:
(Boyk7808) wrote in message

. com...

[...]

From Fine Gardening, August 2001, Tips Department

[...]

Hmmm... Thanks for the warning!

I guess the thing to do is to replace the #17 aluminum wire with #14
galvanized steel wire, and install some sturdy pressure-treated posts.

On the other hand, I'll bet the deer never came back to his garden.
Now, if one became entangled and was still there when I got up in the
morning, he just might provide some meat for the family.

Ray

Old 13-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Bob S. wrote:
(Boyk7808) wrote in message
. com...

[...]

From Fine Gardening, August 2001, Tips Department

[...]

I'll keep that in mind if and when I ever need to install one... ;-)
Hotwires are fantastic for animal control. I adopted a border collie and
ended up installing a low hotwire around the perimeter of the front yard
to prevent her accidently jumping the 5' fence. She was leaping straight
up the sides, (pogo dog!!!) and I was afraid that she might accidently
go over even tho' she was not trying to. She was clearing it with no
problem! Very athletic dog. And I live on a very busy street! Hated to
do it, but it worked...

Right now I don't have a deer problem as I have a 6ft. fence in the
back, but a deer could clear that with no problem. The dogs loose in the
yard discourage them.

On the other hand, I'll bet the deer never came back to his garden.
Now, if one became entangled and was still there when I got up in the
morning, he just might provide some meat for the family.

Heh heh heh! Indeed!!! :-)
Mercy killing, and why waste it?

Al ended up putting up regular farm fencing like I did. It's not really
that expensive. I fenced 1/4 acre for $600.00 with 5' and 6', and
T-posts don't rot like wood does. I planted it with wild grapes so I now
have a green privacy fence.

Ray

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 14-06-2004, 03:05 PM
Bob S.

"Ray Drouillard" wrote in message ...
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Bob S. wrote:

Double ought buck in a twelve gauge works pretty well also, and you
don't have to worry about reapplying after a rain.

Bob S.

I wonder if a high-powered .177 pellet gun would keep them away

without
really doing any damage.

Bob

The pellet will go into the animal's flesh and stay there for life.
'tis kinder to just kill it and be done with it.

Not normally a big deal to have a piece of lead remain in flesh. A
large number of birds, animals, and even humans carry them for a
lifetime with no apparent effects (unless it is next to a sensitive
nerve).

Of course, if you live in an area that frowns upon firearms, you can
always use a bow.

I use an electric fence. :-)

I do also-five strands. I know some people who condition a deer to an
electric fence by cutting strips of tin foil, coating them with peanut
butter, and attaching them to the electric fence. When the deer goes
to lick them, it gets a nasty shock on the tongue that the deer never
forgets. Very effective lesson for them to avoid the garden.
As you can tell, I have little sympathy for deer. They are cute, but
also a great nuisance, destroy property, extensively damage cars and
people in collisions, attract hunters who have little regard for
property, etc.

Bob S.
Old 14-06-2004, 05:03 PM
zxcvbob

Bob S. wrote:
zxcvbob wrote in message ...

Bob S. wrote:

(Boyk7808) wrote in message . com...

Combine the two filtered liquids with the ammonia and oil soap in a 3
gallon garden sprayer. Fill the sprayer to the maximum level with
water, and spray mixture around all areas you want to protect. For
extra stickiness, float the bar of Ivory soap in the sprayer.

For maximum effectiveness, reapply weekly as well as after rains. If
deer browsing is intense, spray more frequently.

From Fine Gardening, August 2001, Tips Department

Dave

Double ought buck in a twelve gauge works pretty well also, and you
don't have to worry about reapplying after a rain.

Bob S.

I wonder if a high-powered .177 pellet gun would keep them away without
really doing any damage.

Bob

A pellet gun is normally as powerful as a .22 within 50 ft. range. I
once killed a fair size buck at the edge of my garden with a .22 with
a shot to the forehead. Dropped in his tracks stone dead! On a tragic
note, I know of a case where a young boy accidently killed his mother
when a .177 pellet hit her in the back of the head. Pellet guns need
to be handled with care.

Bob S.

They do need to be handled with care and respect, but your analogy is
way off. A standard velocity .22 LR (fired from 20 to 24" barrel) has
100 foot-pounds if energy at the muzzle, and about 80fp at 50 yards. A
..22 short HP has 62 fp at 50 yards, and a "target" .22 short has about
36 fp at 50 yards. It's been a while since I figured the muzzle energy
of my RWS pellet gun, but I think it was about 10 or 12 foot-pounds. A
..177 pellet goes supersonic at less than 20 foot-pounds, and there are
very few pellet guns capable of supersonic velocities (not that you want
a pellet to go supersonic)

So even a wimpy .22 Short target cartridge (does anybody use those?) has
over twice the energy at 50 yards than a pellet gun does at the muzzle.

I really don't think a wadcutter ("match") or hollow-point pellet
(beeman "crow magnum") would penetrate the hide of a deer, but it
oughtta sting like hell. A pointed- or rounded-nosed pellet might
penetrate, I dunno.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 15-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Allan Matthews

On 11 Jun 2004 19:29:04 -0700, (Boyk7808)
wrote:

[...]

From Fine Gardening, August 2001, Tips Department

Dave

I live in Tioga county , NY one of the most densly whitetail deer
populated areas in US. They walk across my front porch at nite. They
are hated by every neighbor. I have tried many repllents and nothing
worked to save my garden or shrubs. I put up an electric fence, bent
strips of thin aluminum over the wire and smeared peanut butter on the
strips. End of problem. The deer did get tangled in the fence one
nite and really knocked it down.

Old 15-06-2004, 05:06 AM
Bob S.

zxcvbob wrote in message ...
Bob S. wrote:
zxcvbob wrote in message ...

Bob S. wrote:

(Boyk7808) wrote in message . com...

Combine the two filtered liquids with the ammonia and oil soap in a 3
gallon garden sprayer. Fill the sprayer to the maximum level with
water, and spray mixture around all areas you want to protect. For
extra stickiness, float the bar of Ivory soap in the sprayer.

For maximum effectiveness, reapply weekly as well as after rains. If
deer browsing is intense, spray more frequently.

From Fine Gardening, August 2001, Tips Department

[...]

You are right. I was comparing velocity(fps) rather than energy.
Velocity can be higher in a pellet gun than a .22lr (1250fps vs
1000fps). Here we can get into the old argument of speed vs weight,
but I won't. I can get a pointed pellet to pass through 1/4" plywood
at 15 yds, and I think that would relate to hide penetration.

Bob S.

Deer Repellent? Buck Turgidson Gardening 13 16-10-2006 04:31 AM
Yet another deer repellent Doug Kanter Gardening 10 14-11-2004 02:21 AM
Deer repellent cpemberton Roses 6 18-04-2004 06:08 AM
insecticide as deer repellent? King Jake Lawns 0 06-04-2004 09:29 PM
Another Deer Repellent Bob Batson Gardening 0 24-07-2003 09:02 PM