Old 12-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Bill

Default Tough scapes

What are the visual cues that it is time to cut a garlic scape (for the
skillet)?

How low should it be cut?

Should any portion of it be discarded?

Bill

Old 12-06-2004, 01:07 PM
simy1

Bill wrote in message .. .
What are the visual cues that it is time to cut a garlic scape (for the
skillet)?

How low should it be cut?

Should any portion of it be discarded?

Bill

they don't really ripen. The earlier the tenderer, the best are cut as
soon as the base of the flower becomes visible, in which case you have
to cut just below the flower. this is also best for the bulb, because
all the energy of the extra foot of scape will now go to the bulb.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Gary Woods

Bill wrote:

What are the visual cues that it is time to cut a garlic scape (for the
skillet)?

As others said, the earlier the better for the plant; I usually cut mine
about the time they make their first curl, and discard the paper "tail"
above the bud. If they're a bit tough, there's always the food processor,
nuts, olive oil...

Old 12-06-2004, 11:02 PM
omi

"simy1" wrote in message
om...
Bill wrote in message

.. .
What are the visual cues that it is time to cut a garlic scape (for the
skillet)?

How low should it be cut?

Should any portion of it be discarded?

Bill

they don't really ripen. The earlier the tenderer, the best are cut as
soon as the base of the flower becomes visible, in which case you have
to cut just below the flower. this is also best for the bulb, because
all the energy of the extra foot of scape will now go to the bulb.

Slightly O.T. If I remove the scapes from elephant garlic, new leaf blades
grow out from the tips of the cloves and are not wrappers around the bulbs
like the earlier leaf blades. So I believe it is best to leave the scapes
on for elephant garlic. This may be due to our warm climate with temps over
100 deg in may (Phoenix AZ area). This hasn't happened with the true,
hardneck garlic. Olin

Old 13-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Bill

Gary Woods wrote:

Bill wrote:

What are the visual cues that it is time to cut a garlic scape (for the
skillet)?

As others said, the earlier the better for the plant; I usually cut mine
about the time they make their first curl, and discard the paper "tail"
above the bud. If they're a bit tough, there's always the food processor,
nuts, olive oil...

A collective 'thanks' to all who responded. I'm on my way outdoors with
knife in hand even as this makes its way to the newsgroup. ;-)

Scapes! :D Steve Calvin Edible Gardening 2 27-05-2007 05:29 PM
I thought virburum`s were tough :-( Kate Morgan United Kingdom 5 21-07-2003 05:43 PM
scapes IC_Gardener Edible Gardening 6 04-06-2003 04:08 PM
Weigela - tough as old boots! MG United Kingdom 0 14-04-2003 08:08 PM
super tough orchids profpam Orchids 3 28-01-2003 01:44 AM