Old 12-06-2004, 10:03 AM
tandrews

Default weird home-grown avocado fruits

Hi, everyone.

I was talking to my mom today on the phone, and she told me the avocado
plant she grew from a seed over 10 years ago now has fruits on it the size
of small plums. Apparently they don't look like avocados at all. She has cut
two of them open -- they each had two large seeds and tasted like citrus
fruits (sort of orange/lemony). Can this plant ever produce "normal"
avocados, or is that impossible now that the plant is grown? Should she have
grafted the young avocado seedling onto different rootstock in order to grow
a Hass avocado (which is what the original seed was from)?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Terri A.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:02 PM
how

Hi,
Got pictures of this 'avocado'? What color is it?
-_- how
to reply- no NEWS is good

Old 12-06-2004, 08:02 PM
len gardener

g'day tandrews,

if you want good quality fruiting avocados you realy need to be buying
grafted trees, if you mum would have done this she would have been
enjoying good fruit a long time ago.

avocado's rarely fruit to type from seed, and from seed you may not
get fruit at all and if the fruit your mum has is from an avocado then
the other rings true that if they do fruit it may be very poor quality
and definatly not representative of the fruit the seed came from.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Weird Stem - Weird Stem.JPG [01/01] Chris Savas Orchid Photos 0 20-09-2008 03:29 PM
Why do canned riped fruits stink more badly than fresh ripe fruits? Radium Edible Gardening 13 23-05-2006 11:22 PM
Avocado cultivar that can be grown indoors rusty Plant Biology 1 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
Home Grown Capsicum Willow Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
hulling home grown coffee beans Richard Wright Australia 5 05-04-2003 06:32 AM