GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cukes for pickling-timing question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/67017-cukes-pickling-timing-question.html)

DigitalVinyl 23-06-2004 04:10 PM

Cukes for pickling-timing question

I am growing a small amount of pickling cukes this year. A friend who
does pickling each year is going to show me how to do the whole
pickling thing. But I'm wondering about timing. My cukes are starting.
I just found, and I swear it wasn't there Monday, a 7 inch cucumber, a
little bigger than I wanted for pickling.

Can you store these for a while? I can't leave them on the bush cause
they'll obviously become huge.

Should they be refrigerated or some more preferred way? I don't like
cucumbers--they repeat on me terribly-- but I LUV pickles.

Obviously I'll want to harvest them till I have a nice amount--or the
plant peters out. Can't recall if this is a plant that keeps going all
season or produces most of its crop in a large flush.

Thanks.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://members.aol.com/DigitalVinyl66/Garden2004.html