Old 30-06-2004, 09:14 PM
KK

Default Peat Moss Substitute?

I'm new to the group and I'm wondering if anyone knows of another way to
loosen my hard soil rather than using Peat? I've tried sawdust, leaves, etc
but they tend to make it even harder.

Peat works the best so far but I was hoping to find something a little
cheaper???

Old 30-06-2004, 09:14 PM
Katra

In article , "KK" wrote:

I'm new to the group and I'm wondering if anyone knows of another way to
loosen my hard soil rather than using Peat? I've tried sawdust, leaves, etc
but they tend to make it even harder.

Peat works the best so far but I was hoping to find something a little
cheaper???

Pearlite???

It does not decompose so might be cheaper in the long run?

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 30-06-2004, 09:14 PM
John Watson

"KK" wrote in message ...
I'm new to the group and I'm wondering if anyone knows of another way to
loosen my hard soil rather than using Peat? I've tried sawdust, leaves,
etc
but they tend to make it even harder.

Peat works the best so far but I was hoping to find something a little
cheaper???

Check with the city or county, they chip and shread a lot wind/storm damaged
limbs/trees, etc., and may have a lot of compost for distribution to the
citizens for free.

John

Old 02-07-2004, 06:04 AM
KK

I did a quick search for Perlite on the web and since it virtually lasts
forever it may be a good choice. I couldn't seem to find out however, the
amount needed per square foot... any idea what that would be?

Old 02-07-2004, 06:04 AM
KK

Good idea... I checked with the city and they do have an area for grass
clippings as well as leaves in the fall. Do I need to be concerned with
chemicals that may have been applied to lawns or will that compost out?

Old 02-07-2004, 07:03 AM
John Watson

"KK" wrote in message ...
Good idea... I checked with the city and they do have an area for grass
clippings as well as leaves in the fall. Do I need to be concerned with
chemicals that may have been applied to lawns or will that compost out?

I've thought about that also, don't really know, so I just use the grass
clipping from my own lawn.

The leaves should be great and even better if you can shread them before
composting.

John

Old 02-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Jay

The best price I can find on perlite is $8 for a 4 cu. ft. bag, that's
$54 per yard, plus shipping. I can get a truckload of sand, 15 cu.
yds., for about $85, delivered. I have very heavy clay soil, I
amended my garden with compost and sand, about 1 yd of sand per 100 sq
ft of garden, also I removed the heaviest, pure red clay altogether.
Had to work it all in real well, a process which will never be done.
Perlite may be better, but unless they start selling it in truckload
quantity, I think it is way too expensive a method when there are
alternatives. Sand plus clay plus compost plus backbreaking work
equals good garden soil.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Beecrofter

"KK" wrote in message ...
I'm new to the group and I'm wondering if anyone knows of another way to
loosen my hard soil rather than using Peat? I've tried sawdust, leaves, etc
but they tend to make it even harder.

Peat works the best so far but I was hoping to find something a little
cheaper???

I can't imagine how adding organic material is making your soil harder.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:02 PM
KK

Mixed with the clay soil it almost turns it "brick" hard.

I put close to a pickup load on a 30x20 foot area and it became really hard
for the rest of that year. The following year it didn't seem as bad but
still pretty hard. I added more sawdust that year and it got hard again so I
quit using the sawdust. To some extent I noticed a similar action with
leaves (not shredded) tilled in but the peat really tends to do the trick.
This fall I may work 5 0r 6 of the larger bundles of peat in but the reason
for the post was to find something a little cheaper.

I cut down and chipped about 200 feet of a hedge on my property... (a
mixture of different types of hedge)and this has been slowly composting over
the last 3 years. I've added some of this in certain areas but I still can't
say I'm happy with it.

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...

Old 05-07-2004, 09:02 PM

dolomite

Old 06-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Beecrofter

"KK" wrote in message ...
Mixed with the clay soil it almost turns it "brick" hard.

I put close to a pickup load on a 30x20 foot area and it became really hard
for the rest of that year. The following year it didn't seem as bad but
still pretty hard. I added more sawdust that year and it got hard again so I
quit using the sawdust. To some extent I noticed a similar action with
leaves (not shredded) tilled in but the peat really tends to do the trick.
This fall I may work 5 0r 6 of the larger bundles of peat in but the reason
for the post was to find something a little cheaper.

About 10 or 20 more pickup loads and you will be on the right track.
Manure, grass clippings , leaves and leaf mold, municipal compost,
mushroom compost, woodchips, whatever is free and local is best, free
local and delivered is even better!
Old 07-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Beecrofter

I was trying to find a reference and from some of my notes came the
figure that one inch of peat or compost tilled in to a depth of 6"
would equal five percent organic material content.
The class was taught by UCONN's soil lab director.

Keep adding, you will get there!
Old 07-07-2004, 06:02 AM
KK

Wow, I would have thought it would have been more than that... so would 2"
be 10%? or doesn't it work like that?

It's now apparent that I just haven't put on enough each year even though it
seemed like a bunch. This fall it's going to get "loaded" up with what ever
I can find and tilled in and I'll probably add a little nitrogen to the mix.

Thanks for all the info...

Old 07-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Beecrofter

"KK" wrote in message ...
Wow, I would have thought it would have been more than that... so would 2"
be 10%? or doesn't it work like that?

It's now apparent that I just haven't put on enough each year even though it
seemed like a bunch. This fall it's going to get "loaded" up with what ever
I can find and tilled in and I'll probably add a little nitrogen to the mix.

Thanks for all the info...

Mde too, but I bet it's by weight.

Another thing to do is continually compost in your garden pathways,
think a foot or so of woodchips and use them to cover grass
clippings,weeds and kitchen wastes between the growing areas in your
garden.That way it still looks neat and clean. Come spring you can
sift the new humous into your growing areas and allow the earthworms
to till it in for you. Then you refiill the paths.
Using a deep mulch on the growing areas is another technique because
it enriches and loosens the soil as it decays. 6" or more with the
mulch pulled back wherever you put a plant.
Keep an ear out for a barnload of spoiled hay.
Here on my 0.23 of an acre it was a way of making large amounts of
compost in a very small area and not losing growing space.
Cover crops work well also, things like buckwheat can give you 3 or 4
crops in a season to till under and choke out the weeds at the same
time.

See if any of Ruth Stout's books are in your local library she was a
mulch gardener. "How to have a green Thumb Without an Aching Back"
was one of her's.
Make your local library get you a copy via interlibrary loan.

Don't let any organic material leave your property .