GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   @#$%$##@ Hornworms!!!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/78139-re-%40-%24%25%24-%40-hornworms.html)

Katra 04-07-2004 06:02 AM

@#$%$##@ Hornworms!!!!

In article ,
"Ray" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message

[...]

I also have a large number of spiders that spin beautiful webs every
night in my tomato vines, including one very large, very pregnant

Yellow
Garden Spider. :-) Those are my favorite spiders!

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordL...s/black_and_ye
low_argiope.htm

Huge and colorful, they spin VERY large webs. One of my few welcome
predators that is actually as diurnal as the Carolina Anoles. The vast
majority of my orb weavers are nocturnal.

We used to catch grasshoppers and carefully place them in the web of a
garden spider (called a 'banana spider' by the local kids). It was
interesting to watch the spider crawl to the hapless grasshopper and
wrap it in silk.

Probably the same spider. :-)

I've also been known to "feed" my local ones.

There are currently 3 in residence in my yard! 1 in front around the
BBQ, one in back in the tomatoes, and a cute little male one inside of
my greenhouse. :-)

Looks like I got all the worms by just hand picking with a flashlight
that night. Only took me about 1/2 hour. I've not seen any "fresh"
damage at this point.

I never tried picking them off at night. We used to look for the
damage, then hunt down the bug. Also, they start clicking if you shake
the vine a bit.

Alas, I have seen very few of the critters in the past several years.
We'll see how many there are near our new place. The chickens and
guineas are ready.

Ray

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

04-07-2004 10:03 PM

@#$%$##@ Hornworms!!!!

In article ,
Katra wrote:

Ever stepped in mouse guts in bare feet???

Can't say I've ever had that pleasure.

--
http://yosemitenews.info/

04-07-2004 10:03 PM

@#$%$##@ Hornworms!!!!

In article ,
B.Server wrote:

The rain has stopped, but the sevin still seems like a really
bad idea to me as it kills indiscriminately beneficials,
pollinators, and probably a few pests as well.

BT works well on horn worms and doesn't indiscriminately kill beneficials.

Since my neighbors also keep bees, it is out of the question on
those grounds as well.

Indeed.

--
http://yosemitenews.info/

Katra 04-07-2004 10:03 PM

@#$%$##@ Hornworms!!!!

In article , ()
wrote:

In article ,
Katra wrote:

Ever stepped in mouse guts in bare feet???

Can't say I've ever had that pleasure.

It's a cat thing..... ;-)

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra 04-07-2004 10:03 PM

@#$%$##@ Hornworms!!!!

In article , ()
wrote:

In article ,
B.Server wrote:

The rain has stopped, but the sevin still seems like a really
bad idea to me as it kills indiscriminately beneficials,
pollinators, and probably a few pests as well.

BT works well on horn worms and doesn't indiscriminately kill beneficials.

Since my neighbors also keep bees, it is out of the question on
those grounds as well.

Indeed.

--
http://yosemitenews.info/

I've heard of BT for mosquitos, how and what BT is used for hornworms?
Might be best to pre-treat plants with it about mid-season?

K.

--

Katra wrote:

I've heard of BT for mosquitos, how and what BT is used for hornworms?

That's its normal use (BT for mosquitos is fairly new and is a
different type). You just spray or dust it on the plant. Here's
one BT product page:

http://www.spinics.net/am/B00018R74I

Might be best to pre-treat plants with it about mid-season?

It's not a poison so you can pre-treat all you want. It's best
to get the horn worms while they are small.

04-07-2004 10:03 PM

@#$%$##@ Hornworms!!!!

In article ,
Katra wrote:

In article ,
Katra wrote:

Ever stepped in mouse guts in bare feet???

Can't say I've ever had that pleasure.

It's a cat thing..... ;-)

Worse than hairball vomit?

Katra 05-07-2004 12:02 AM

@#$%$##@ Hornworms!!!!

In article , ()
wrote:

In article ,
Katra wrote:

In article ,
Katra wrote:

Ever stepped in mouse guts in bare feet???

Can't say I've ever had that pleasure.

It's a cat thing..... ;-)

Worse than hairball vomit?

A little gooier. G

We never had a cat door for the cats when we lived in the desert, and
our best hunters liked to be out at night. We'd find various pieces
parts of animals on the front porch in the mornings so after stepping in
them a couple of times, we learned to watch for them. G

Cats like to bring their people "gifts"...

The only time "prey" ever ended up indoors was when a female with
kittens would meow at the door, then run inside with it. It was usually
still half-alive at that point. :-P Usually mice, rats, small
squirrels, Kangaroo rats and the occasional quail. Patience was the only
cat we ever had that would catch rabbits!

Now that we spay/neuter and keep the cats inside, it's no longer an
issue. lol

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra 05-07-2004 12:02 AM

@#$%$##@ Hornworms!!!!

In article ,
()
wrote:

In article ,
Katra wrote:

I've heard of BT for mosquitos, how and what BT is used for hornworms?

That's its normal use (BT for mosquitos is fairly new and is a
different type). You just spray or dust it on the plant. Here's
one BT product page:

http://www.spinics.net/am/B00018R74I

Cool. :-) I'll check on this product at our local nurseries and home
centers. I'd feel a lot better about using it than sevin! I do value my
insect predators. Just wish they would do better on moth larvae!

Might be best to pre-treat plants with it about mid-season?

It's not a poison so you can pre-treat all you want. It's best
to get the horn worms while they are small.

That's the idea. G Let's see, that was the end of June so if I start
treating at the beginning of June, I might be able to prevent the
damage. Fortunately, the vines are large and healthy.

Thanks!
K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

05-07-2004 12:02 AM

@#$%$##@ Hornworms!!!!

In article ,
Katra wrote:

Worse than hairball vomit?

A little gooier. G

yuck

We never had a cat door for the cats when we lived in the desert, and
our best hunters liked to be out at night. We'd find various pieces
parts of animals on the front porch in the mornings so after stepping in
them a couple of times, we learned to watch for them. G

Cats like to bring their people "gifts"...

The only time "prey" ever ended up indoors was when a female with
kittens would meow at the door, then run inside with it. It was usually
still half-alive at that point. :-P Usually mice, rats, small
squirrels, Kangaroo rats and the occasional quail. Patience was the only
cat we ever had that would catch rabbits!

Now that we spay/neuter and keep the cats inside, it's no longer an
issue. lol

My cat is spayed but she still uses her cat door to go out and hunt
at night. She did become prey once but the owl lost.

Katra 05-07-2004 01:02 AM

@#$%$##@ Hornworms!!!!

In article , ()
wrote:

In article ,
Katra wrote:

Worse than hairball vomit?

A little gooier. G

yuck

Indeed. ;-)

We never had a cat door for the cats when we lived in the desert, and
our best hunters liked to be out at night. We'd find various pieces
parts of animals on the front porch in the mornings so after stepping in
them a couple of times, we learned to watch for them. G

Cats like to bring their people "gifts"...

The only time "prey" ever ended up indoors was when a female with
kittens would meow at the door, then run inside with it. It was usually
still half-alive at that point. :-P Usually mice, rats, small
squirrels, Kangaroo rats and the occasional quail. Patience was the only
cat we ever had that would catch rabbits!

Now that we spay/neuter and keep the cats inside, it's no longer an
issue. lol

My cat is spayed but she still uses her cat door to go out and hunt
at night. She did become prey once but the owl lost.

Wow. Owl claw holes tend to get badly infected... :-P
Glad she is ok!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

05-07-2004 04:04 AM

@#$%$##@ Hornworms!!!!

In article ,
Katra wrote:

Wow. Owl claw holes tend to get badly infected... :-P
Glad she is ok!

It took 6 months for her to lose the limp. Recently I put a
plastic owl on the roof and she wanted to go after it; she even
hissed.

Ray 05-07-2004 05:02 AM

@#$%$##@ Hornworms!!!!

wrote in message
In article ,
Katra wrote:

Wow. Owl claw holes tend to get badly infected... :-P
Glad she is ok!

It took 6 months for her to lose the limp. Recently I put a
plastic owl on the roof and she wanted to go after it; she even
hissed.

It sounds like your cat has spunk. Did the owl that attacked her
survive?

I understand that around here, coyotes like to eat cats. I try to keep
my cats in at night. That's especially true of the barn cat that was
recently given to our son. Don is seriously doting over that little
kitten.

Ray

Bob S. 05-07-2004 06:02 AM

@#$%$##@ Hornworms!!!!

Katra wrote in message ...
Man.

Those damned things grow fast!
I just noted severe hornworm damage to my vines this morning!
Not only were the little *******s eating the vines, they've been eating
the tomatoes! Both green and nearly ripe. Lot's of destruction. sigh

Went out with a flashlight about midnight to hunt them and removed 10
very large 4" + hornworms from my vines, happily doing even more damage.

The tops of the vines are pretty well stripped and they destroyed at
least a couple dozen or more fruits.

My chickens and ducks are gonna get a treat in the morning. ;-)
I just hope I found them all!

K.

I despise them so much that when I pick them I drop them in a stirred
up fireant hill.

Bob S.

Katra 05-07-2004 07:02 AM

@#$%$##@ Hornworms!!!!

In article , ()
wrote:

In article ,
Katra wrote:

Wow. Owl claw holes tend to get badly infected... :-P
Glad she is ok!

It took 6 months for her to lose the limp. Recently I put a
plastic owl on the roof and she wanted to go after it; she even
hissed.

Your cat has serious spunk..... :-)

K.

--