GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help! Pool Spilled (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/78504-help-pool-spilled.html)

Him 07-07-2004 06:02 AM

Help! Pool Spilled

I have one of those inflatable ring type above ground pools for the kids and
all was going well until tonight when my son overfilled it and collapsed the
ring.

Yep .... about 400 - 500 gallons of treated pool water flooding my yard and
garden. The garden is partially raised bed with a 2X4 border so a total
washout didn't occur but it did overflow the wood and a lot of water got
into the planting bed.

Question .... will the pool chemicals kill my plants or is the dilution
enough to be ok? .... the clorine was about 2 - 3 PPM according to the last
test this morning and the PH was about 7.0 - 7.2.

Plants hit are tomato, cabbage, cauliflour, peppers, zucs, and cucumber.

Anything I can do to remediate?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Al Reid 07-07-2004 01:02 PM

Help! Pool Spilled

Assuming that the pool chemicals were at normal levels, it should be no worse than tap water. I have tested tap water in the past
and found higher chlorine levels than in my pool. My guess is that you should be OK.

--
Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know
for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

simy1 07-07-2004 11:02 PM

Help! Pool Spilled

"Him" wrote in message hlink.net...
I have one of those inflatable ring type above ground pools for the kids and
all was going well until tonight when my son overfilled it and collapsed the
ring.

Yep .... about 400 - 500 gallons of treated pool water flooding my yard and
garden. The garden is partially raised bed with a 2X4 border so a total
washout didn't occur but it did overflow the wood and a lot of water got
into the planting bed.

Question .... will the pool chemicals kill my plants or is the dilution
enough to be ok? .... the clorine was about 2 - 3 PPM according to the last
test this morning and the PH was about 7.0 - 7.2.

Plants hit are tomato, cabbage, cauliflour, peppers, zucs, and cucumber.

Anything I can do to remediate?

Thanks for your thoughts.

perfect. you don't have to water for a while, and you will get huge
cukes. the grams of chlorine you are worrying about will be buffered
millions of times over by the tons of soil affected.

Beecrofter 08-07-2004 12:04 AM

Help! Pool Spilled

Mechanical damage, the big wash may have uprooted a few things or
exposed some roots. Cover them and press the soil down.

Jay 08-07-2004 04:02 AM

Help! Pool Spilled

I concur, when I had a pool a always backwashed the filter onto the
lawn, it only made it greener, never a chemical burn anywhere.

Glenna Rose 11-07-2004 08:05 AM

Help! Pool Spilled

writes:
[...]

If it damages your plants, your concerns should be for the people using
the pool! Remember, there should be nothing toxic in the pool since that
water does get into people's mouths/eyes/noses continuously.

Must have been a sight, all the water suddenly released.

Glenna

Steve Calvin 12-07-2004 07:02 AM

Help! Pool Spilled

Glenna Rose wrote:

Must have been a sight, all the water suddenly released.

Glenna

I can attest to that. Last time I took down an above ground pool I had
"had it" to the point of putting my chest waders on, getting in and
stabing that sucker with a pitch fork. Great stress relief! ;-)

--
Steve

YT2095 13-07-2004 11:33 AM

Help! Pool Spilled

Quote:

Originally posted by Him
I have one of those inflatable ring type above ground pools for the kids and
all was going well until tonight when my son overfilled it and collapsed the
ring.

Yep .... about 400 - 500 gallons of treated pool water flooding my yard and
garden. The garden is partially raised bed with a 2X4 border so a total
washout didn't occur but it did overflow the wood and a lot of water got
into the planting bed.

Question .... will the pool chemicals kill my plants or is the dilution
enough to be ok? .... the clorine was about 2 - 3 PPM according to the last
test this morning and the PH was about 7.0 - 7.2.

Plants hit are tomato, cabbage, cauliflour, peppers, zucs, and cucumber.

Anything I can do to remediate?

Thanks for your thoughts.

You could always grow Rice :)
seriously though, the chlorine (CaOCl) will be less of a problem than you think, it`ll become inert on contact with soil in seconds, the mass of water would real issue here, leeching all the soil nutrients, when it dries, you`ll probably have to feed your plants a stronger solution of a liquid feed than you`de ordinarily use, but they should all survive, it maybe an idea to check if any lower leaves are resting in water patches though, as this could cause fungal problems, other than that, just let nature do the rest and pray it doesn`t rain for a while :)

Jay 14-07-2004 04:03 PM

Help! Pool Spilled