Old 10-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Joseph A. Zupko

Default Whats difference between pulverized and hydrated lime?

"Joseph A. Zupko" wrote in message
. ..
Are they both the same thing but one is processed differently?
I see gardeners at the community garden use lime. They said it keeps the
insects and animals eating there plants. Is there any truth behind this?

Old 11-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Joseph A. Zupko said:

"Joseph A. Zupko" wrote in message
Are they both the same thing but one is processed differently?
I see gardeners at the community garden use lime. They said it keeps the
insects and animals eating there plants. Is there any truth behind this?

Pulverized lime is limestone (calcium carbonate) that has been crushed finely
enough to pass through a 'number 20' sieve. Hydrated lime (calcium hydroxide)
is lime that has been reacted with heat and water.

Hydrated lime is caustic and I wouldn't recommend puffing it around a garden.

Pulverized lime is sometime spread in barns to control flies (by making the
animal waste too alkaline for flies to breed in).

Pulverized (sometimes called 'agricultural') lime is occasionally used as part
of a fungicidal dust and occasionally recommended against slugs, but I've not
heard of it being used as an insecticide or insect repellent. (The Organic Method
Primer has no index entry for lime used as an insect control.)

Diatomaceous earth is regularly used as a dust against insects.

I've also heard about ground kaolin clay being sprayed on plants to use as an
insect barrier or repellent.

http://www.garden.org/articles/scrip...es.taf?id=1698

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 12-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Jim Carlock

I don't know nothing about nothing... just reading along and
doing some research myself.

So correct me if the links I'm placing are wrong:
http://www.organiclandcare.org/stand...ducts_pest.htm

Indicates that there is hydrated calcium hydroxide as well as
calcium hydroxide. Plain calcium hydroxide is sometimes called
"hot lime". Hot lime should NOT be used for anything according
to that link. Hydrated calcium hydroxide is designated to be
used in a restricted manner as a fungicide only.

Perhaps that's where the confusion is coming into play. I don't
know nothing about it, so if this information looks correct,
please provide an afirmative statement. If it is incorrect, please
say so.

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.votetoimpeach.org/

"simy1" wrote:
(Pat Kiewicz) wrote:
Joseph A. Zupko said:

"Joseph A. Zupko" wrote:
Are they both the same thing but one is processed differently?
I see gardeners at the community garden use lime. They said it keeps the
insects and animals eating there plants. Is there any truth behind this?

Pulverized lime is limestone (calcium carbonate) that has been crushed finely
enough to pass through a 'number 20' sieve. Hydrated lime (calcium hydroxide)
is lime that has been reacted with heat and water.

Hydrated lime is caustic and I wouldn't recommend puffing it around a garden.

Pulverized lime is sometime spread in barns to control flies (by making the
animal waste too alkaline for flies to breed in).

Pardon my ignorance, but I think it is hydrated (the caustic one) that
is used to control flies in stables, or at least I saw it used -
unless it costs more per unit of pH than pulverized, which is what
most people use in gardens. However, I also see it sold in small
(maybe 3lb) boxes in garden centers as a soil amendment for veggies
(Franks has it for example). I suppose what really matters is the
dose...

Old 14-07-2004, 03:03 PM
David Hare-Scott

"Jim Carlock" wrote in message
news
I don't know nothing about nothing... just reading along and
doing some research myself.

So correct me if the links I'm placing are wrong:
http://www.organiclandcare.org/stand...ducts_pest.htm

Indicates that there is hydrated calcium hydroxide as well as
calcium hydroxide. Plain calcium hydroxide is sometimes called
"hot lime". Hot lime should NOT be used for anything according
to that link. Hydrated calcium hydroxide is designated to be
used in a restricted manner as a fungicide only.

Not quite. "Hot" lime or quicklime is calcium oxide. If you add water you
get calcium hydroxide (slaked lime) and heat. That's why its called hot
lime. There is only one form of calcium hydroxide (chemically speaking)
although it might be of various levels of purity and ground up to finer or
coarser levels.

That web site seems quite confused on this matter.

David

Old 19-07-2004, 03:03 AM
FarmerDill

I don't know nothing about nothing... just reading along and
doing some research myself.

So correct me if the links I'm placing are wrong:
http://www.organiclandcare.org/stand...ducts_pest.htm
Indicates that there is hydrated calcium hydroxide as well as
calcium hydroxide. Plain calcium hydroxide is sometimes called
"hot lime". Hot lime should NOT be used for anything according
to that link. Hydrated calcium hydroxide is designated to be
used in a restricted manner as a fungicide only.

Perhaps that's where the confusion is coming into play. I don't
know nothing about it, so if this information looks correct,
please provide an afirmative statement. If it is incorrect, please
say so.

--
Jim Carlock

Jim

What it being called pulverized lime her is normally called ground limestone.
It is naturally occurring limestone (rock) that is ground into a dust in a
mill. Many times it is pelletized (A water soluble binder is added added to
the ground limestone and it is molded into pellet form) This makes it more
convenient to use in mecahanical spreaders and is the form most often seen at
lawn and garden centers, All calcium carbonate reacts with acid to form CO2 and
a calcium salt. Remember the marble chips in your high school chemistry.?

Next if you heat limestone to a high temp. the Carbon dioxide releases and
leaves Calcium Oxide. Usually called quick lime but hot lime is appropriate.
This is the stuff that was used in some cultures to dispose of bodies, When I
was a kid it was used to make white wash.

Now if you add water to calcium oxide (If you try this add the calcium oxide to
the water) it reacts rapidly forming Calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2 Usually sold as
hydrated or water slaked lime. This a weak base but because no futher chemical
reaction is need will raise pH rapidly.

There are organisms like powdery mildew which do not thrive in a basic
environment, so hydrated lime may help in those situations. As an insecticide
it has no major effectiveness. Might descourage some soft bodied insects but
there are better solutions like safers soap.

dill