Old 20-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Al Dykes

Default How do you tell when a sweet green pepper is ripe ?

This year, for the first time, I put a few sweet peppers in. I've got
some peppers, but how do I tell if they are ripe ? The seed package
shows red and green fruit, but so far mine are all dark, dark green.

How big are homegrown peppers (California Wonder). The peppers I buy
in the market these days weigh a pound or more, and I figure they are
as bloated as the huge strawberries are.

--
Al Dykes
-----------
Old 20-07-2004, 12:02 AM
zxcvbob

Al Dykes wrote:
This year, for the first time, I put a few sweet peppers in. I've got
some peppers, but how do I tell if they are ripe ? The seed package
shows red and green fruit, but so far mine are all dark, dark green.

How big are homegrown peppers (California Wonder). The peppers I buy
in the market these days weigh a pound or more, and I figure they are
as bloated as the huge strawberries are.

Just pick them when they seem to stop growing if you want them green, or
wait another week or three for them to turn red. I don't think you can
really predict how large bell peppers will get.

Bob
Old 20-07-2004, 03:02 AM
TQ

"Al Dykes" wrote in message

| This year, for the first time, I put a few sweet peppers in. I've got
| some peppers, but how do I tell if they are ripe ? The seed package
| shows red and green fruit, but so far mine are all dark, dark green.
|
| How big are homegrown peppers (California Wonder). The peppers I buy
| in the market these days weigh a pound or more, and I figure they are
| as bloated as the huge strawberries are.

Bell peppers are ripe enough to pick when the color changes from its lighter
shade of green to a rich dark green and when the fruit is very firm when
given a gentle squeeze.
--
TQ

"I don't remember the al-Qaida cells as being something that we were told we
needed to do something about."
National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice 4/8/2004

Old 20-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Pen

Try Big Bertha if you want big peppers.