GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Critter gnawing melons (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/79512-critter-gnawing-melons.html)

flick 20-07-2004 03:02 AM

Critter gnawing melons

I've got some Sugar Baby melons, coming along fine.

Little chunks taken out of one or two - looked like there were
teeth marks. Some small rodent, maybe (?).

I realize that Sevin is an insecticide, but would a healthy
dusting maybe keep little rodents away, until I get fence up?

flick 100785

---

Ray 20-07-2004 04:04 AM

Critter gnawing melons

"flick" wrote in message
I've got some Sugar Baby melons, coming along fine.

Little chunks taken out of one or two - looked like there were
teeth marks. Some small rodent, maybe (?).

I realize that Sevin is an insecticide, but would a healthy
dusting maybe keep little rodents away, until I get fence up?

flick 100785

Sevin will probably be ignored by any rodent. Try getting some habanera
powder and dusting the melons. I did that with a pumpkin that the
squirrels were eating, and they stopped eating it until the hot pepper
got washed off by the rain.

Ray

zxcvbob 20-07-2004 04:04 AM

Critter gnawing melons

Now *that* would be something to see!

Best regards,
Bob

--
"Someday I got to have a loooonnnggg talk with that boy"
-Jed Clampett

Dwayne 20-07-2004 04:04 AM

Critter gnawing melons

I once caught a turtle gnawing the end of one of my melons. I gently put
him on the other side of the fence and he never bothered me again.

Dwayne