GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Re(2): Critter gnawing melons (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/79639-re-2-critter-gnawing-melons.html)

Glenna Rose 21-07-2004 07:03 AM

Re(2): Critter gnawing melons

writes:

Sevin will probably be ignored by any rodent. Try getting some habanera
powder and dusting the melons. I did that with a pumpkin that the
squirrels were eating, and they stopped eating it until the hot pepper
got washed off by the rain.

If you can't find habanero powder, try good ol' cayenne pepper. When I
was a young teen, a bit of it in an egg cured our dog from eating eggs.

Glenna
(who wishes she could dust the apricots!)