Old 22-07-2004, 01:58 PM
Al Reid

Default Gopher solotions

"Al" wrote in message nk.net...
This year, for whatever reason, we have had a major influx of gopher
attack in our garden. Internet search points mostly to electronic
"chaser" devices. Anyone have experience with these? Successful?

While I have never had a problem with gophers, I had a horrible problem with groundhogs. I tried all of the tricks I could find and
no luck. They kept digging under my fence and into the garden. Out of frustration, I cut several hundred stakes about a foot long
and drove them into the ground at the fence line leaving a 1" gap between. They would dig a while then move on, dig a while...
After a few days, they just gave up. That was
over a year ago.

A few weeks ago I started to notice that something was eating my lettuce. The next day it was me beans. I couldn't figure out how
they were getting in. No holes in the fence and no tunnels under the fence. The third day I noticed that the tops of my tomatoes
were eaten, and they are 4' high. I then noticed a pile of deer droppings. Great, after 2+ years with a 4' high fence, the deer
decide to jump over it. So, I put up a 7-1/2 foot high deer fence around my 30 x 45 garden.

Sometimes I wonder why I even try to grow anything! Between the cost of materials and time, it's probably cheaper to just buy the
veggies. However, now that the peas are about done, the beans and cucumbers are coming in and the corn is not far behind, I know
it was worth it.

--
Al Reid

How will I know when I get there...
If I don't know where I'm going?

Old 22-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Al

Old 22-07-2004, 09:50 PM
Bruce Yates

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:30:11 GMT, Al wrote:

This year, for whatever reason, we have had a major influx of gopher
attack in our garden. Internet search points mostly to electronic
"chaser" devices. Anyone have experience with these? Successful?

Over the last 15 years I have dealt with hundreds of gophers on my
half acre lot. There are only two surefire ways to get rid of them.

The first is gopher traps. You must use two traps. About $5 in any
feed or farm store.

Find the tunnel by pushing a long rod or screwdriver into the ground
between two mounds until you feel it give. That will locate the
tunnel. Use post hole diggers to dig down and expose the tunnel. You
may have to use the screwdriver to scrape dirt away from the sides to
locate the holes. There will be at least two, one from each direction.
Place a trap in each and cover big hole with leaves or something that
will let a little light in. Be sure to tie the traps to some sort of
stake (tomato stakes work well). A big gohper can carry a trap off or
into the tunnel.

The second is to expose the tunnel in the same way and put a couple of
tablespoons of Drano (lye) in the tunnel and cover back up. They get
it on their feet and it kills them when they lick it off. If you do
this make sure to be very careful if you have pets. Don't want any
exposed that they can get hold of.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

Old 22-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Bruce Yates

[...]

I have a Gopher aluckyguess Edible Gardening 1 26-05-2008 06:41 AM
Gopher solotions Al Edible Gardening 0 22-07-2004 01:30 PM
Gopher Questions Magnusfarce Lawns 2 27-06-2004 07:04 AM
Gopher-proofing? Jefffooz Gardening 1 29-03-2004 02:32 AM
The best pocket gopher trap ? observer Gardening 9 01-05-2003 06:20 AM