Old 22-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Dave

Default Birds Don't Eat Berries

They don't eat them. They ruin them. They taste them. They peck them.
They mutilate them... but they don't eat them.

If they ate the berries they would get full and have to stop.

As I now take all the the pecked berries and lay them next to the
birdbath -- where they are ignored -- I would like to know if there
are any other good ideas on how to discourage them?

This seems to mostly be robins eating the blackberries. I think some
people use netting but it seems that that would be a mess to handle.
How about something that would vigorously wave a flag and chime every
few minutes? I may have to build something.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:34 AM
Claire Petersky

"Dave" wrote in message
om...

This seems to mostly be robins eating the blackberries.

You deliberately grow blackberries?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old 07-09-2004, 04:18 AM
Ray Drouillard

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Dave" wrote in message
om...

This seems to mostly be robins eating the blackberries.

You deliberately grow blackberries?

What's wrong with growing blackberries? They make fine jam.

Ray

Old 07-09-2004, 02:02 PM
Dave

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message link.net...
"Dave" wrote in message
om...

This seems to mostly be robins eating the blackberries.

You deliberately grow blackberries?

Thornless in the yard, thorny variety back in the woods.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Claire Petersky

"Ray Drouillard" wrote in message

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Dave" wrote in message
om...

This seems to mostly be robins eating the blackberries.

You deliberately grow blackberries?

What's wrong with growing blackberries? They make fine jam.

You must live in an area where they are not a noxious weed. If I want to
make jam, I can go to any vacant lot, park, or verge and pick. But I must be
ever-vigilent to keep them out of my yard -- a few weeks of neglect, and
I've got vines sprouting once again from the edge of the fence.

Old 07-09-2004, 08:11 PM
Ray Drouillard

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Ray Drouillard" wrote in message

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Dave" wrote in message
om...

This seems to mostly be robins eating the blackberries.

You deliberately grow blackberries?

What's wrong with growing blackberries? They make fine jam.

You must live in an area where they are not a noxious weed. If I want

make jam, I can go to any vacant lot, park, or verge and pick. But I

must be
ever-vigilent to keep them out of my yard -- a few weeks of neglect,

and
I've got vines sprouting once again from the edge of the fence.

Sort of like multiflora roses, eh? I have heard nasty things about
them, but they don't seem to be a problem here. I guess competition in
the plant world is so stiff here that none of the 'noxious weeds' that I
hear about can really get a good toehold (roothold?). We have lots of
the plants that are called 'noxious weeds' elsewhere, but they seem to
find their niche and stay put around here.

Ray

Old 08-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Dave

"Claire Petersky" wrote:

You must live in an area where they are not a noxious
weed. If I want to make jam, I can go to any vacant
lot, park, or verge and pick. But I must be ever-vigilent
to keep them out of my yard -- a few weeks of neglect,
and I've got vines sprouting once again from the edge of
the fence.

Sort of like multiflora roses, eh? I have heard nasty things about
them, but they don't seem to be a problem here. I guess competition in
the plant world is so stiff here that none of the 'noxious weeds' that I
hear about can really get a good toehold (roothold?). We have lots of
the plants that are called 'noxious weeds' elsewhere, but they seem to
find their niche and stay put around here.

Hmmm... the thorny blackberries can be troublesome but they like sun
and seem to mostly propagate through the root system so this limits
their spread to adjacent sunny areas.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Ray Drouillard

"Claire Petersky" wrote:

[...]

Ha! They most certainly do not limit themselves around here. They're
sneaky little *******s, too. You no sooner get them stomped in one
place, but they pop up in another part of the yard.

At least kudzu is brazen; it announces its presence by waving its
fronds about insolently in the air so it can be easily spotted and
properly exterminated.

If I lived in the south, I could probably feed all my goats for free.

If someone knocked on your door and asked for permission to harvest your
kudzu vines, what would you say? How about if they want to put some
goats into your field that's overgrown with multiflora roses or
blackberries?

Ray

Old 08-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Kelly Paul Graham

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
nk.net...

I'm worried that
a goat in our own back yard would soon be munching on things I'd like to
keep, as opposed to things I'd like to have taken down.

Ever heard of cabrito? Goat has a nice flavor to it Once the
weedy-problem
is dealt with... have a barbeque!!

Kelly Paul Graham.

Old 08-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Kelly Paul Graham

"simy1" wrote in message
m...

but it is easier if they are right in your backyard. Blackberries are
not so aggressive in Michigan. I have to hack the stuff threatening to
choke them if I want to have them in my fencerows.

Even here in hoy, humis eastern Texas. I've never seen
inpenetrable
thickets of blackberries!

Kelly Paul Graham