Old 22-07-2004, 08:03 PM
zxcvbob

Default Who regulates lawn services? (ChemLawn)

I figure they must have a commercial "applicators license" to use
herbicides. Who issues that license?

The *******s treated my neighbor's back yard last week, and they sprayed
2,4-d through the fence and into my vegetable garden. I recognized the
twisted new growth as being herbicide damage before I even found the
little ChemLawn sign in their front yard.

While I was writing down the phone number from the little sign, another
neighbor came by and said he's complained to ChemLawn before about them
leaving Weed-n-Feed granules all over the sidewalk when they were done.

Bob

Old 22-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Doug Kanter

***IMMEDIATELY*** call your town hall when they open on Monday morning and
find out what your judge needs (paperwork, photographs, etc) in order to
charge the spray service with civil trespass. You can include the neighbor,
too, if they become beligerent about the situation. I went through this
successfully about 4 years ago here in Rochester NY.

If anyone wants to start a debate about whether this qualifies as trespass,
please save your energy. This is not a guess or a theory on my part. Our
local judge was prepared to issue an injunction to keep my neighbor from
allowing Chem Lawn to spray along our property border. He told me to inform
my neighbor and the spray company that the police would be ordered to arrest
them on the spot if the stupidity continued. This did the trick nicely.

Unfortunately, lawn spray companies will hire anything with a driver's
license during the busy season. Doesn't matter how stupid they are, and they
most definitely ARE stupid.

Old 22-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Doug Kanter

"Tony" wrote in message
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I figure they must have a commercial "applicators license" to use
herbicides. Who issues that license?

The *******s treated my neighbor's back yard last week, and they sprayed
2,4-d through the fence and into my vegetable garden. I recognized the
twisted new growth as being herbicide damage before I even found the
little ChemLawn sign in their front yard.

While I was writing down the phone number from the little sign, another
neighbor came by and said he's complained to ChemLawn before about them
leaving Weed-n-Feed granules all over the sidewalk when they were done.

One thing I was unclear of from your post: did you actually see the
ChemLawn guy spraying or do you just have a strong suspicion? (I'm not
doubting that it happened as you say it did, but I also know that in court
you'd need more than strong circumstantial evidence in a situation like
this.)

The OP's state environmental agency can refer him to a laboratory which can
test plant samples for the presence of the suspected chemicals.

Old 22-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Doug Kanter

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Tony wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

[...]

I have strong circumstantial evidence, but IMHO physical evidence is
stronger than the testimony of one eye witness. Ideally, I would have
videotape, or physical evidence plus a half-dozen eye witnesses... but
if I'd known ahead of time that this was going to happen I could have
confronted the guy.

I like the idea of catching him on video next time, but I don't have the
means to do that. I may try to find out when they are coming back to
this neighborhood and plan to be home that day.

Meanwhile, I can complain to whoever issued their business license,
franchise, pesticide license, etc. If any of these are suspended for a
while, they could lose a lot of customers when they can't fullfill their
season-long lawn service contracts.

Thanks, regards,
Bob

Although it won't help in your present dilemma, get in touch with your
county & state legislators and see if anyone's already discussing the idea
of forcing the lawn spray idiots to give neighbors 2-3 days' notice before
they treat lawns. It's gone back and forth in my county legislature.
Unfortunately, the chemical companies are still playing golf with the right
people in government, but we're closing to having a law here.

Old 25-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Don Tveter

zxcvbob wrote:
I figure they must have a commercial "applicators license" to use
herbicides. Who issues that license?

The *******s treated my neighbor's back yard last week, and they sprayed
2,4-d through the fence and into my vegetable garden. I recognized the
twisted new growth as being herbicide damage before I even found the
little ChemLawn sign in their front yard.

While I was writing down the phone number from the little sign, another
neighbor came by and said he's complained to ChemLawn before about them
leaving Weed-n-Feed granules all over the sidewalk when they were done.

Bob

Chemlawn got me a few years ago, here's what happened:

http://www.dontveter.com/howtogrow/chemlawn.html

Don Tveter

The Pattern Recognition Basis of Artificial Intelligence
Backpropagator's Review NN freeware for UNIX and PCs
A Professional BP Version for X and Windows
Don Tveter http://www.dontveter.com
Old 26-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Doug Kanter

"Bob" wrote in message
newsO2Lc.120942$MB3.32604@attbi_s04...

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

[...]

A number of years ago, An old man across the street sprayed a
shrub in his neighbor's yard he didn't like with herbicide. A
tree sprayer hired by the neighbor noticed the damage, and after
questioning the neighbor, reported the action to the state E.P.A.
They came out and gave a stern talking to the old man.

Would you really consider anything grown after being sprayed with
2,4,d to be something you'd feed to your family. I'd consider the
entire area to be contaminated, requiring replacement of the soil
before use for a vegetable garden.

Bob

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this kind of thing outrageous.