Old 22-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Gunnloth

Default Bumps on Tomato vine.

My plants have bumps on them that I've never seen before and the first 3
tomatoes all had dead tops with black bottoms. I'm new to container growing
and am not sure what is going on. We have had a lot of water, however, my
drainage is good. One plant is wilted, but the others are fine and all have
lots of flowers. Suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Regards,
Gunn

Old 22-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Gunnloth

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Gunnloth wrote:
My plants have bumps on them that I've never seen before and the first 3
tomatoes all had dead tops with black bottoms. I'm new to container

growing
and am not sure what is going on. We have had a lot of water, however,

my
drainage is good. One plant is wilted, but the others are fine and all

have
lots of flowers. Suggestions and comments are appreciated.

Regards,
Gunn

If they are white bumps on the stems, they are "adventitious root" buds,
and are normal in tomatoes but a sign that something *might* be wrong.
The black bottoms is "blossom end rot", which is caused by uneven water
availability and a calcium deficiency that makes the plant more
sensitive to the moisture problem. It sounds like your soil is
waterlogged. The roots are drowning, and the plant senses the humidity
in the air near the ground and is sending out new roots to hope with the
drowning.

If you can loosen the soil a little, and apply a calcium suppliment,
like "Stop Rot" or gypsum or lime or egg shells or calcium nitrate. If
the plants were in the ground rather than in pots, I'd say you need to
loosen the soil around them to let air in, and mulch them to even out
the soil moisture.

Thanks, I'll stir things up a little, and add some egg shells.

Regards,
Gunn

Bumps on Tomato vine. Gunnloth Edible Gardening 7 22-07-2004 02:03 AM
bumps on tomato stems S. S. Tsay Edible Gardening 2 21-06-2004 08:11 PM
Texas persimmon with leaf bumps Dewitt Gardening 0 30-03-2004 07:43 AM
hard warty bumps K Barrett Orchids 7 29-01-2004 04:13 AM
Big bumps on some goldfish David Glover Ponds 5 24-03-2003 09:56 PM