GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   dutch vs french shallots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/80171-dutch-vs-french-shallots.html)

Ed Stuart 25-07-2004 10:02 AM

dutch vs french shallots

Hi,

What's the difference between Dutch & French shallots?

Thanks,
Ed

Pat Kiewicz 25-07-2004 12:02 PM

dutch vs french shallots

Ed Stuart said:

What's the difference between Dutch & French shallots?

The Dutch have cleverly figured out how to grow shallots from seed.
The French insist the results are not *really* shallots -- real shallots
are only grown in France, from sets.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Pat Kiewicz 26-07-2004 11:16 AM

dutch vs french shallots

Ed Stuart said:

What is the difference in taste?

None that I could really tell. I grew shallots once from seeds and several
times from sets. I suspect that there might be more difference between
the same type of shallot grown in different soils than there would be between
the different types grown in the same soil.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Stan Goodman 27-07-2004 09:47 AM

dutch vs french shallots

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:16:06 UTC, (Pat Kiewicz)
opined:
Ed Stuart said:

What is the difference in taste?

None that I could really tell. I grew shallots once from seeds and several
times from sets. I suspect that there might be more difference between
the same type of shallot grown in different soils than there would be between
the different types grown in the same soil.

The greatest difference is that France has found that it is good for its
economy to insist upon legally binding geographical appelations for things
that it grows. For example, it ain't champagne if the same grapes are grown
elsewhere in the same conditions; it ain't rocquefort if the milk is
inoculated with the same microorganism in a similar cave elsewhere, and it
ain't a shallot if the bulb is not a native of la Belle France. Shallots
come in various sizes and shapes, but are indistinguishable in ways that
count in the kitchen or on the table.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendam.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.