Old 26-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Ally

Default Transplanting Asparagus

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for moving an asparagus bed.
I'm afraid I started the asparagus without knowing much about it. I
have one two year old and 2 one year old plants that are doing fairly
well, but I didn't prepare the soil and they don't have much room
where they are. I would like to move them to a better raised bed, but
am unsure of the right time to attempt this. Does anyone have any
advice?

Thanks in advance.
Old 26-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Katra

In article ,
Ally wrote:

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for moving an asparagus bed.
I'm afraid I started the asparagus without knowing much about it. I
have one two year old and 2 one year old plants that are doing fairly
well, but I didn't prepare the soil and they don't have much room
where they are. I would like to move them to a better raised bed, but
am unsure of the right time to attempt this. Does anyone have any
advice?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think I'd transplant them in the middle of the summer....

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 26-07-2004, 10:58 AM
Frogleg

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 01:23:53 -0400, Ally wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for moving an asparagus bed.

If you Google on

transplanting asparagus

you will find plentiful information.

Old 26-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Beecrofter

Katra wrote in message ...
In article ,
Ally wrote:

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for moving an asparagus bed.
I'm afraid I started the asparagus without knowing much about it. I
have one two year old and 2 one year old plants that are doing fairly
well, but I didn't prepare the soil and they don't have much room
where they are. I would like to move them to a better raised bed, but
am unsure of the right time to attempt this. Does anyone have any
advice?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think I'd transplant them in the middle of the summer....

K.

If it's just the soil then ammend with compost and manure on top of
the asparagus bed. If it's a space issue then buy more crowns the
labor of trying to sift the crowns out of a bed will kill you.
Herbicide free grass clippings and woodchips a few inches deep make
good mulches for the beds.