Old 26-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Stan Goodman

Default Diogs where they don't belong

What can I do to discourage feral, and not so feral, dogs from coming into
my property both in daylight and at night, crapping here and there as the
spirit moves them (no pun intended), and making threatening noises at me?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendam.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.

Old 26-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Sunflower

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
What can I do to discourage feral, and not so feral, dogs from coming into
my property both in daylight and at night, crapping here and there as the
spirit moves them (no pun intended), and making threatening noises at me?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendam.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.

Fence your property.

Old 27-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Stan Goodman

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:00:49 UTC, "Sunflower"
opined:

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
What can I do to discourage feral, and not so feral, dogs from coming into
my property both in daylight and at night, crapping here and there as the
spirit moves them (no pun intended), and making threatening noises at me?

Fence your property.

Not an option.

Old 27-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Anonny Moose

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:16:34 UTC, "Anonny Moose"
opined:

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:00:49 UTC, "Sunflower"
opined:

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
What can I do to discourage feral, and not so feral, dogs from

coming
into
my property both in daylight and at night, crapping here and there

as
the
spirit moves them (no pun intended), and making threatening noises

at
me?

Fence your property.

Not an option.

Motion sprinklers?

C'mon.

Well what's the deal? You're shooting down ideas without giving any reasons.
Figure it out on your own then.

Old 27-07-2004, 05:29 PM
nutNhoney

Stan Goodman wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:16:34 UTC, "Anonny Moose"
opined:

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:00:49 UTC, "Sunflower"
opined:

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message

What can I do to discourage feral, and not so feral, dogs from coming

into

my property both in daylight and at night, crapping here and there as

the

spirit moves them (no pun intended), and making threatening noises at

me?

Fence your property.

Not an option.

Motion sprinklers?

C'mon.

I can attest to the effectiveness of the motion sprinkler. Dogs
certainly won't like it! Rabbits, squirrels, and racoons don't like it
either. I can't say the meter reader guy was overly impressed at our
old home. DH on more than one occasion got an additional shower along
with his morning coffee. I initially bought mine to protect our pond
but now am using it in the garden. Depending on your set-up, you may
need two to protect all areas. I move mine around a fair amount so the
critters don't get to accustomed to the direction the spray is coming
from. Another option may be a Fido electric fence around your garden.
That will be effective for whatever garden you put it around but won't
help much for your lawn and other unprotected areas. The last option I
can think of besides fencing is cayenne pepper either powdered or spray
solution. The downside is you have to reapply after a rain.

You might want to contact animal control for a more permanent solution.
If the dogs are not ferral yet running loose, animal control should be
able to fine the owners. Ferral dogs may be a health issue so animal
control should come out and catch them.

Old 27-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Stan Goodman

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:16:38 UTC, "Anonny Moose"
opined:

[...]

Thank you.

If someone has an idea involving a repellant substance, I would be happy to
hear it.

Old 27-07-2004, 10:06 PM
Stan Goodman

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:29:15 UTC, nutNhoney opined:
Stan Goodman wrote:

[...]

Sprinklers are a solution that would occur only to people who live where
there is plenty of water. Here, the radio is forever telling me "Don't waste
a drop". I turn the spigot off while I am shaving, except when I need
actually to rinse the razor.

You might want to contact animal control for a more permanent solution.
If the dogs are not ferral yet running loose, animal control should be
able to fine the owners. Ferral dogs may be a health issue so animal
control should come out and catch them.

The Nature Protection Agency is responsible for animals in the wild; the
SPCA mostly accepts unwanted pets. Dogs bothering a householder would be a
police matter. I did report the matter to the police; they have other, more
pressing matters to deal with, and it is hard to fault them for not putting
a high priority on this one. That is why I thought to post the problem here.

I'll try the cayenne suggestion. Since there is no rain at all here during
the summer (from April through November and well into December), that may
help for most of the year, at the cost of a large package of ground cayenne
pepper. As for the winter -- by then, the magic of Operant Conditioning may
have persuaded the dogs that this is not a good place to visit.

Thanks for your comments.

Old 28-07-2004, 06:13 AM
Glenna Rose

writes:

Well what's the deal? You're shooting down ideas without giving any
reasons.
Figure it out on your own then.

Just remember, it's his loss. He apparently has not heard of folks who
use them and swear by them. Gee, a pest control with no poisons or
anything else to harm animal or human, why would anyone want to try that?!

Try not to take it personally, some folks want a complicated solution when
a simple one will suffice. Or maybe he has no outside water faucet. As I
understand from a friend who has one of the sprinklers, one of the
beauties of them is that they operate for only a few seconds so there is
no waste of water. My own observation regarding my feeble attempts to
keep the squirrel away from the apricots is that it only takes 2 or 3
seconds which certainly is not a waste of water; more than that is used
flushing the toilet once.

I'd use one for the squirrel except the movement of the tree branches
would likely keep it going all the time. Since that one doesn't come to
the ground, entering and leaving the yard via tree tops, one on the ground
would be useless. However, come winter when I prune the tree severely, I
may install one on the ground near the Evergreen Magnolia tree where more
nest; when they cannot jump from another tree into it and will get
sprinkled, perhaps it will discourage some of the critters anyway!
(Though it sure doesn't help now.)

Since there is a problem here with dogs coming onto the front side yard, I
may install one out there which would also keep stray cats from coming
over that fence at the back yard as well.

Take care.

Glenna

Old 28-07-2004, 06:14 AM
Ray

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
What can I do to discourage feral, and not so feral, dogs from coming

into
my property both in daylight and at night, crapping here and there as

the
spirit moves them (no pun intended), and making threatening noises at

me?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Electric fence. Works like a charm! Cheap, too.

Ray

Old 28-07-2004, 06:14 AM
Ray

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:16:34 UTC, "Anonny Moose"

opined:

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:00:49 UTC, "Sunflower"
opined:

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
What can I do to discourage feral, and not so feral, dogs from

coming
into
my property both in daylight and at night, crapping here and

there as
the
spirit moves them (no pun intended), and making threatening

noises at
me?

Fence your property.

Not an option.

Motion sprinklers?

C'mon.

What's wrong with motion sprinklers? They're harmless, and will
discourage most dogs.

Ray

Old 28-07-2004, 06:14 AM
Ray

[...]

Mark your territory the same way dogs do. Or, use something like old
cigar butts soaked in soapy water.

Ray