GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Diogs where they don't belong (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/80258-diogs-where-they-dont-belong.html)

Stan Goodman 26-07-2004 11:02 PM

Diogs where they don't belong

What can I do to discourage feral, and not so feral, dogs from coming into
my property both in daylight and at night, crapping here and there as the
spirit moves them (no pun intended), and making threatening noises at me?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendam.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.

Sunflower 26-07-2004 11:02 PM

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
What can I do to discourage feral, and not so feral, dogs from coming into
my property both in daylight and at night, crapping here and there as the
spirit moves them (no pun intended), and making threatening noises at me?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendam.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.

Fence your property.

Stan Goodman 27-07-2004 12:02 AM

Diogs where they don't belong

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:00:49 UTC, "Sunflower"
opined:

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
What can I do to discourage feral, and not so feral, dogs from coming into
my property both in daylight and at night, crapping here and there as the
spirit moves them (no pun intended), and making threatening noises at me?

Fence your property.

Not an option.

Anonny Moose 27-07-2004 04:16 PM

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:16:34 UTC, "Anonny Moose"
opined:

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:00:49 UTC, "Sunflower"
opined:

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
What can I do to discourage feral, and not so feral, dogs from

coming
into
my property both in daylight and at night, crapping here and there

as
the
spirit moves them (no pun intended), and making threatening noises

at
me?

Fence your property.

Not an option.

Motion sprinklers?

C'mon.

Well what's the deal? You're shooting down ideas without giving any reasons.
Figure it out on your own then.

nutNhoney 27-07-2004 05:29 PM

Stan Goodman wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:16:34 UTC, "Anonny Moose"
opined:

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:00:49 UTC, "Sunflower"
opined:

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message

What can I do to discourage feral, and not so feral, dogs from coming

into

my property both in daylight and at night, crapping here and there as

the

spirit moves them (no pun intended), and making threatening noises at

me?

Fence your property.

Not an option.

Motion sprinklers?

C'mon.

I can attest to the effectiveness of the motion sprinkler. Dogs
certainly won't like it! Rabbits, squirrels, and racoons don't like it
either. I can't say the meter reader guy was overly impressed at our
old home. DH on more than one occasion got an additional shower along
with his morning coffee. I initially bought mine to protect our pond
but now am using it in the garden. Depending on your set-up, you may
need two to protect all areas. I move mine around a fair amount so the
critters don't get to accustomed to the direction the spray is coming
from. Another option may be a Fido electric fence around your garden.
That will be effective for whatever garden you put it around but won't
help much for your lawn and other unprotected areas. The last option I
can think of besides fencing is cayenne pepper either powdered or spray
solution. The downside is you have to reapply after a rain.

You might want to contact animal control for a more permanent solution.
If the dogs are not ferral yet running loose, animal control should be
able to fine the owners. Ferral dogs may be a health issue so animal
control should come out and catch them.

Stan Goodman 27-07-2004 07:32 PM

Diogs where they don't belong

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:16:38 UTC, "Anonny Moose"
opined:

[...]

Thank you.

If someone has an idea involving a repellant substance, I would be happy to
hear it.

Stan Goodman 27-07-2004 10:06 PM

Diogs where they don't belong

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:29:15 UTC, nutNhoney opined:
Stan Goodman wrote:

[...]

Sprinklers are a solution that would occur only to people who live where
there is plenty of water. Here, the radio is forever telling me "Don't waste
a drop". I turn the spigot off while I am shaving, except when I need
actually to rinse the razor.

You might want to contact animal control for a more permanent solution.
If the dogs are not ferral yet running loose, animal control should be
able to fine the owners. Ferral dogs may be a health issue so animal
control should come out and catch them.

The Nature Protection Agency is responsible for animals in the wild; the
SPCA mostly accepts unwanted pets. Dogs bothering a householder would be a
police matter. I did report the matter to the police; they have other, more
pressing matters to deal with, and it is hard to fault them for not putting
a high priority on this one. That is why I thought to post the problem here.

I'll try the cayenne suggestion. Since there is no rain at all here during
the summer (from April through November and well into December), that may
help for most of the year, at the cost of a large package of ground cayenne
pepper. As for the winter -- by then, the magic of Operant Conditioning may
have persuaded the dogs that this is not a good place to visit.

Thanks for your comments.

Glenna Rose 28-07-2004 06:13 AM

writes:

Well what's the deal? You're shooting down ideas without giving any
reasons.
Figure it out on your own then.

Just remember, it's his loss. He apparently has not heard of folks who
use them and swear by them. Gee, a pest control with no poisons or
anything else to harm animal or human, why would anyone want to try that?!

Try not to take it personally, some folks want a complicated solution when
a simple one will suffice. Or maybe he has no outside water faucet. As I
understand from a friend who has one of the sprinklers, one of the
beauties of them is that they operate for only a few seconds so there is
no waste of water. My own observation regarding my feeble attempts to
keep the squirrel away from the apricots is that it only takes 2 or 3
seconds which certainly is not a waste of water; more than that is used
flushing the toilet once.

I'd use one for the squirrel except the movement of the tree branches
would likely keep it going all the time. Since that one doesn't come to
the ground, entering and leaving the yard via tree tops, one on the ground
would be useless. However, come winter when I prune the tree severely, I
may install one on the ground near the Evergreen Magnolia tree where more
nest; when they cannot jump from another tree into it and will get
sprinkled, perhaps it will discourage some of the critters anyway!
(Though it sure doesn't help now.)

Since there is a problem here with dogs coming onto the front side yard, I
may install one out there which would also keep stray cats from coming
over that fence at the back yard as well.

Take care.

Glenna

Ray 28-07-2004 06:14 AM

Diogs where they don't belong

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
What can I do to discourage feral, and not so feral, dogs from coming

into
my property both in daylight and at night, crapping here and there as

the
spirit moves them (no pun intended), and making threatening noises at

me?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Electric fence. Works like a charm! Cheap, too.

Ray

Ray 28-07-2004 06:14 AM

Diogs where they don't belong

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:16:34 UTC, "Anonny Moose"

opined:

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:00:49 UTC, "Sunflower"
opined:

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
What can I do to discourage feral, and not so feral, dogs from

coming
into
my property both in daylight and at night, crapping here and

there as
the
spirit moves them (no pun intended), and making threatening

noises at
me?

Fence your property.

Not an option.

Motion sprinklers?

C'mon.

What's wrong with motion sprinklers? They're harmless, and will
discourage most dogs.

Ray

Ray 28-07-2004 06:14 AM

[...]

Mark your territory the same way dogs do. Or, use something like old
cigar butts soaked in soapy water.

Ray

Stan Goodman 28-07-2004 01:03 PM

Diogs where they don't belong

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 03:48:16 UTC, "Ray" opined:

[...]

That's an interesting possibility. While I don't have a source of old cigar
butts, I do pee regularly. It never occured to me that dogs would regard a
human odor as a no-go territorial marker. Are you sure they would?

Thanks!!

Ray

Stan Goodman 28-07-2004 01:03 PM

Diogs where they don't belong

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 02:29:36 UTC, (Glenna Rose) opined:
writes:

Well what's the deal? You're shooting down ideas without giving any
reasons.
Figure it out on your own then.

Just remember, it's his loss. He apparently has not heard of folks who
use them and swear by them. Gee, a pest control with no poisons or
anything else to harm animal or human, why would anyone want to try that?!

Why indeed?

Try not to take it personally, some folks want a complicated solution when
a simple one will suffice. Or maybe he has no outside water faucet. As I

Actually, I am after a simple solution and one involving as little
expenditure as possible. I mean to try at least two of the suggestions made
here.

understand from a friend who has one of the sprinklers, one of the
beauties of them is that they operate for only a few seconds so there is
no waste of water. My own observation regarding my feeble attempts to
keep the squirrel away from the apricots is that it only takes 2 or 3
seconds which certainly is not a waste of water; more than that is used
flushing the toilet once.

I have never seen motion sprinklers in this country, and am sure they are
not for sale anywhere here. It is a mistake to think that everything you can
buy in your local garden shop or Wal-Mart is available everywhere in the
world. No, I am not interested in the hassle of importing them; the custom
duty and plus UPS/FedEx/DHL charges would be prohibitive.

I like to think that I have enough judgement to know when "it is my loss"
and when it isn't, even with the disadvantage of being this close to the
question.

nutNhoney 28-07-2004 03:28 PM

Glenna Rose wrote:

writes:

Well what's the deal? You're shooting down ideas without giving any
reasons.
Figure it out on your own then.

Just remember, it's his loss. He apparently has not heard of folks who
use them and swear by them. Gee, a pest control with no poisons or
anything else to harm animal or human, why would anyone want to try that?!

Glenna, Stan explained that he lived in an area where a motion sprinkler
would not be feasible in a reply to me. From his posts, he is not in
the US and perhaps can't even get a hold of one. I remember seeing a
DIY project for one online but don't have the link. At any rate, he is
asking for a fiable solution to a problem. As gardeners, I'm sure we
can help him with this problem.

Try not to take it personally, some folks want a complicated solution when
a simple one will suffice. Or maybe he has no outside water faucet. As I
understand from a friend who has one of the sprinklers, one of the
beauties of them is that they operate for only a few seconds so there is
no waste of water. My own observation regarding my feeble attempts to
keep the squirrel away from the apricots is that it only takes 2 or 3
seconds which certainly is not a waste of water; more than that is used
flushing the toilet once.

IIRC, the literature says they use about a cup of water per spray.
However, Stan can't use this solution. Given his location, water is
likely at a very high premium and simply not a viable solution. I
suggested cayenne powder or spray, a cheap and effective solution. A
google search may reveal other solutions.

Anonny Moose 28-07-2004 04:27 PM

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 03:48:16 UTC, "Ray" opined:
. While I don't have a source of old cigar

butts, I do pee regularly. It never occured to me that dogs would regard a
human odor as a no-go territorial marker. Are you sure they would?

Highly unlikely.

Why don't you tell us the size of your garden and the other factors limiting
your choices.

Karen

Larry Blanchard 29-07-2004 12:58 AM

Diogs where they don't belong

In article ,
says...
If the dogs are not ferral yet running loose, animal control should be
able to fine the owners. Ferral dogs may be a health issue so animal
control should come out and catch them.

We've had a wolf hybrid running loose in our senior citizen mobile home
park for two or three years. Luckily she's not vicious, just unspayed,
unvaccinated,unleashed, and supposedly un-ownered.

Animal control hasn't been able to catch her even with repeated trys.

It'd be funny if we weren't paying taxes for that function.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Glenna Rose 29-07-2004 05:46 PM

writes:

Glenna, Stan explained that he lived in an area where a motion sprinkler
would not be feasible in a reply to me. From his posts, he is not in
the US and perhaps can't even get a hold of one. I remember seeing a
DIY project for one online but don't have the link. At any rate, he is
asking for a fiable solution to a problem. As gardeners, I'm sure we
can help him with this problem.

The subsequent posts arrived on my server later which explained he did not
have easy accessibility to the sprinklers which made my comments sound
extremely unkind. Unfortunately, my comments were likely a result of
folks (locally) who don't want to bother with simple solutions (like
ladybugs or a spray from the garden hose) when they can go down to the
garden shop and get an impressive looking container of poison for a few
aphids on one plant. Of course, being a bit on the lazy side, I'd rather
use the sprinkler (or a similar option for whatever problem) than to
spray/sprinkle anything which has to be repeated. Perhaps this partially
comes from trying to break my tomcat from spraying in the house which he
started at the age of three (neutered at six months). Among other
solutions was one to spray a certain solution daily everywhere suspected
of having been sprayed by him. BTW, none of the recommended things worked
leaving the only logical thing to keep him mostly outside and allow him
inside in the utility room or bathroom only (or actually being held). His
sister and he are important to me, their affection and un-intrusive
companionship being part of the my recovery from my son's death, so having
him put down was not an option. Giving him to someone else might result
in him being abandoned by his new owner as was a tomcat that I cared for
at my previous house. Trust me, I have no such affection or attachment
the apricot-destroying squirrel!

Unfortunately I do not seem to get all the posts on my server, evidenced
by responses to which the original post never appeared. Therefore, I owe
Stan an apology for my curt reply

Stan, I offer you my apology for my seemingly unkind remarks which I hope
you feel generous enough to accept. I can be rather curt at times but
certainly did not mean to be unkind or mean-spirited towards you. This
was a time I should have waited and re-read my reply in the morning rather
than send it.

Glenna

Stan Goodman 29-07-2004 08:24 PM

Diogs where they don't belong

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:46:45 UTC, (Glenna Rose) opined:
writes:

[...]

Glenna...

Please put it out of your mind. What our unfortunate exchange shows is only
the difficulty of communicating at a distance, through a written medium that
gives the illusion of informal chat, but filters out facial expressions,
tones of voice, and knowledge of each other's history. You do not owe me an
apology. I hope I don't owe you one, but only you can know.

Your news reading problem is easily solved. My ISP, like yours apparently,
attaches little importance to Usenet, simply because most of his subscribers
don't use newsgroups. I found that when I used his news server, articles
were often much delayed, some articles never appeared, and some that I wrote
were not propogated to the rest of the world. There are free news servers in
the world that you can use that never miss a trick, and on which delays are
minimal. I use, and heartily recommend, It is operated by the Free
University of Berlin, and has a website at
http://news.cis.dfn.de

The website is all in German, but there is an email address to which you can
write (even in English) with questions about connecting. Once you connect,
you won't be troubled with language. You have to register, but that is free.
The only conditions are that you have to post articles ONLY with a valid
From address, and that you do not post binary files. I have never been
dissatisfied with their service.

Dave and Miss 29-07-2004 10:45 PM

Diogs where they don't belong

Stan...I have worked at a garden center for the past 2 years and a product
called "Liquid Fence" seems to help most people with the problem of dogs,
cats, rabbits and deer. A bottle isn't very expensive...much less than a
motion sprinkler and definitly not as embarassing as getting cought peeing
in your back yard.I'm sure if you can't find this product in your local
garden store you can do a search for it on the web. Make sure you pick the
one for dogs and cats...it has a synthetic urine. Hope this
helps.....Melissa in Pa
writes:

[...]

From address, and that you do not post binary files. I have never been

Stan Goodman 29-07-2004 11:04 PM

Diogs where they don't belong

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:45:55 UTC, "Dave and Miss"
opined:
Stan...I have worked at a garden center for the past 2 years and a product
called "Liquid Fence" seems to help most people with the problem of dogs,
cats, rabbits and deer. A bottle isn't very expensive...much less than a
motion sprinkler and definitly not as embarassing as getting cought peeing

I'm shameless.

in your back yard.I'm sure if you can't find this product in your local
garden store you can do a search for it on the web. Make sure you pick the
one for dogs and cats...it has a synthetic urine. Hope this
helps.....Melissa in Pa

Again, it isn't likely to be available in this country, importing it is not
feasible, and carrying it in by luggage on an airplane next time I return
from abroad is not recommended.

Thanks to everyone for efforts to be helpful; I think it's time to give up
the search on this group.

writes:

[...]

From address, and that you do not post binary files. I have never been
dissatisfied with their service.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendam.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendam.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.

09-08-2004 08:57 PM

Diogs where they don't belong

in australia, and this might only work in australia...i don't know...it's
worth a try, though. in australia (as i was saying) they fill up those
2-litre plastic pop bottles with plain old water and they place these
bottles on the parking strips and the dogs will not pass these bottles to
get to the other side of the sidewalk!!!!!!!!!

like i said...try it.

Stan Goodman 09-08-2004 11:15 PM

Diogs where they don't belong

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 18:57:11 UTC, opined:
in australia, and this might only work in australia...i don't know...it's
worth a try, though. in australia (as i was saying) they fill up those
2-litre plastic pop bottles with plain old water and they place these
bottles on the parking strips and the dogs will not pass these bottles to
get to the other side of the sidewalk!!!!!!!!!

like i said...try it.

I don't have "parking strips", whatever they may be, and I am not near a
sidewalk. But I understand you to be telling me to put out some
water-filled two-liter bottles along the property line, and to expect that
they will prevent the passage of dogs. Have I got it right? I do this when
the moon is full, right? I don't need any holly stakes or anything like
that?

How will the Candid Camera crew know when to come out and film this?

Thank you for your time.

Darryl Okahata 10-08-2004 06:44 PM

"Stan Goodman" writes:

I don't have "parking strips", whatever they may be, and I am not near a
sidewalk. But I understand you to be telling me to put out some
water-filled two-liter bottles along the property line, and to expect that
they will prevent the passage of dogs. Have I got it right? I do this when
the moon is full, right? I don't need any holly stakes or anything like
that?

While it may be an old wives' tale, something like this is followed
in other parts of the world: in Hawaii, people sometimes put out large
glass bottles of water (gallon jugs or so) around their yard to
"discourage" dogs and cats from going to the bathroom there.

--
Darryl Okahata

Stan Goodman 10-08-2004 11:28 PM

Diogs where they don't belong

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:44:04 UTC, Darryl Okahata
opined:
"Stan Goodman" writes:

I don't have "parking strips", whatever they may be, and I am not near a
sidewalk. But I understand you to be telling me to put out some
water-filled two-liter bottles along the property line, and to expect that
they will prevent the passage of dogs. Have I got it right? I do this when
the moon is full, right? I don't need any holly stakes or anything like
that?

While it may be an old wives' tale, something like this is followed
in other parts of the world: in Hawaii, people sometimes put out large
glass bottles of water (gallon jugs or so) around their yard to
"discourage" dogs and cats from going to the bathroom there.

I have no doubt of it, there is no limit to the foolishness of ignorant
people. I have seen apparently rational people swear that they are getting
energy out of a crystal hanging around their neck -- not much different from
expecting water bottles to influence the bladder and bowel discharges of
cats and dogs.

Darryl Okahata 11-08-2004 04:44 PM

"Stan Goodman" writes:

While it may be an old wives' tale, something like this is followed
in other parts of the world: in Hawaii, people sometimes put out large
glass bottles of water (gallon jugs or so) around their yard to
"discourage" dogs and cats from going to the bathroom there.

I have no doubt of it, there is no limit to the foolishness of ignorant
people. I have seen apparently rational people swear that they are getting
energy out of a crystal hanging around their neck -- not much different from
expecting water bottles to influence the bladder and bowel discharges of
cats and dogs.

Well, I think the "theory" is that dogs and cats are more reluctant
to go to the bathroom around water. I have no idea how true this is.

--
Darryl Okahata

Stan Goodman 11-08-2004 05:20 PM

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:44:26 UTC, Darryl Okahata
opined:
"Stan Goodman" writes:

While it may be an old wives' tale, something like this is followed
in other parts of the world: in Hawaii, people sometimes put out large
glass bottles of water (gallon jugs or so) around their yard to
"discourage" dogs and cats from going to the bathroom there.

I have no doubt of it, there is no limit to the foolishness of ignorant
people. I have seen apparently rational people swear that they are getting
energy out of a crystal hanging around their neck -- not much different from
expecting water bottles to influence the bladder and bowel discharges of
cats and dogs.

Well, I think the "theory" is that dogs and cats are more reluctant
to go to the bathroom around water. I have no idea how true this is.

That may well be true; it makes evolutionary sense for clients of the
waterhole to avoid fouling it.

On the other hand, it isn't clear that dogs and other non-human mammals can
perceive that a glass bottle has water inside. Or, if they could, that the
column of water it contains is equivalent to a pool from which water can be
lapped up.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on
Israel

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendam.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.

12-08-2004 02:43 AM

you're welcome for my time because i offered it in good faith. and hey!!
you know what? i used my REAL email address without any b.s. pumped into
it. so don't get funky. why don't YOU spend some time and look it up!!!!!!

Stan Goodman 12-08-2004 01:42 PM

Diogs where they don't belong

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:43:45 UTC, opined:

you're welcome for my time because i offered it in good faith. and hey!!
you know what? i used my REAL email address without any b.s. pumped into
it. so don't get funky. why don't YOU spend some time and look it up!!!!!!

I can't apologize for my doubt or for my bemused reaction, which seemed
pretty well to match the nature of the suggestion.

I have no idea what offends you about my email address, which is a REAL and
VALID address (no bullshit, if that's what you mean by "b.s."), disguised
from harvesting bots, yet readable by humans. The fact that you don't do
something like that may explain the mountain of spam/junk mail you find in
your inbox (I get none at all). There is no particular virtue in making
yourself and your ISP the target of malicious spammers and virus
distributors -- especially for Outlook users like yourself.

I am not sure what "funky" can mean in this context; I'm sure I could look
that up, if it seemed worthwhile.