Old 28-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Dan

Default Tomato brownish ends NOT BLOSSOM END ROT

Hello All,

My tomatoes may be having a problem with something that looks similar to
blossom end rot. On the blossom end, even when the tomato is small, the skin
turns a brownish color, but never rots. The tomato stays firm. I'm not sure
what the tomatoes looks like inside since they're not ripe yet. This has
happened on about 50% of the tomatoes on one plant and one or two on another
plant.

I don't think this is blossom end rot because the tomatoes are still firm
and I shouldn't have calcium problems. (the water I have is FULL of lime) I
fertilize with MiracleGro Tomato Food and water very regularly since the
plants are potted. What could the problem be? Or maybe is this not a
problem, just discoloration?

Thanks, Dan

Old 28-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Dan said:

Hello All,

My tomatoes may be having a problem with something that looks similar to
blossom end rot. On the blossom end, even when the tomato is small, the skin
turns a brownish color, but never rots. The tomato stays firm. I'm not sure
what the tomatoes looks like inside since they're not ripe yet. This has
happened on about 50% of the tomatoes on one plant and one or two on another
plant.

Blossom end 'rot' isn't always a soft rot. And while it is symptomatic of a problem
with calcium metabolism in the fruit, it usually occurs as a result of water stress.
(Sometimes, despite watering and mulching, some plants get water-stressed --
in my garden mole tunneling cac sometimes can be blamed for that.)

These tomatoes might ripen normally, with a small bit at the bottom to discard.
But some of them might develop a small bit of black rot inside when they ripen.
I always check my plum tomatoes very carefully when processing them for
sauce. Even the smalled brown or silvery spot at the end might conceal more
damage inside. A little trim with a knife determines if they are usable or not.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 28-07-2004, 06:02 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Dan" wrote:

Hello All,

My tomatoes may be having a problem with something that looks similar to
blossom end rot. On the blossom end, even when the tomato is small, the skin
turns a brownish color, but never rots. The tomato stays firm. I'm not sure
what the tomatoes looks like inside since they're not ripe yet. This has
happened on about 50% of the tomatoes on one plant and one or two on another
plant.

I've got something similar and it looks like some kind of scarring to
me. This is the first year I've got healthy beefsteaks growing and
where the beig ones have pressed against eachother, the cage or a
think stem there is some of this "scarring". It is grayish brown and
rough--not soft at all. But a few have irregular patches of the stuff
at the blossom end. They are begining to ripen so in the next week or
two I should get a chance to see inside.

I do think I was underwatering this patch at one point--so that may be
a result.

I don't think this is blossom end rot because the tomatoes are still firm
and I shouldn't have calcium problems. (the water I have is FULL of lime) I
fertilize with MiracleGro Tomato Food and water very regularly since the
plants are potted. What could the problem be? Or maybe is this not a
problem, just discoloration?

Thanks, Dan

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/

Tomato blossom end rot Ashnook United Kingdom 4 28-08-2006 07:53 AM
rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
How much lime to treat blossom end rot? [email protected] Gardening 26 28-07-2004 07:02 PM
tomato "blossom end rot" what to do? (thanks) Lynn Coffelt Edible Gardening 3 12-05-2003 03:32 AM
tomato "blossom end rot" what to do? (long) Frogleg Edible Gardening 3 01-05-2003 04:32 AM