Old 23-07-2004, 06:11 AM
Katra

Default Oyster mushrooms update, 07-21-04

Yay!!!

I went out to the greenhouse this morning to check on plants and stuff,
and looked into the ice chest with my oyster mushroom culture and there
were 2 nice little clusters of mushrooms growing out of the top of the
toilet paper roll! :-) :-) :-)

I am just so thrilled as I've never tried to grow mushrooms before, and
did not buy a grow kit... I started these from scratch using some pureed
fresh oyster mushroom stems and bases.

Many MANY thanks to the person that posted on RGE about the toilet roll
method! I did not use a bag, I used an ice chest instead and even tho' I
don't remember the exact date I planted them, I think it's been 10 to 12
weeks.

They sprouted up literally overnight and I did not go out there until
about noon, so they were looking a little dried and curled due to the
heat, so I picked them and put them into some cold water in the
refrigerator and they plumped right up.

They are not very large but that's ok as the smaller ones are usually
more tender anyway. They will be lightly sauteed in some butter in the
skillet with some steak juice. ;-d

Darn I wish I had a digital camera. :-(

Yay!!!

K.