Old 01-08-2004, 04:18 AM
Anna

Default Beetles on my tomato Plants

I just discovered a black beetle type bug on my tomato leaves. The have
attacked my cherry tomatoes and none other. I noticed them on dandelions
before but not in my garden. What can they be and how can I get rid of
them?
I live in southern Oregon if that is of help.
Thanks
Anna

Old 02-08-2004, 10:28 PM
Anna

I checked with my local nursery and they don't know what it is either. They
have a local master gardener looking into it. It seems that the area is
being over whelmed with this bug. She did tell me that it isn't a beetle.
Anna

Old 02-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Jim Carlock

Do you have a picture ?

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/

Old 03-08-2004, 03:16 AM
Anna

I tried to get a picture and they all came out blurry. I haven't gotten
used to my new camera yet. I'll see what I can do about getting a better on
and post it later.
Anna
m...

Old 03-08-2004, 06:57 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"Anna" wrote:

I just discovered a black beetle type bug on my tomato leaves. The have
attacked my cherry tomatoes and none other. I noticed them on dandelions
before but not in my garden. What can they be and how can I get rid of
them?
I live in southern Oregon if that is of help.

is the beetle about 2mm in length? may Jump away very fast?
Skelentonises the leaves? If so, it's a flea beetle. Infested my
tomatoes too. Best seems to be cutting away all the lower leaves and
those not bearing flowers. I spend time squashig them daily. Not sure
if I will win the battle.

Some book says they come out in hot dry weater.

http://www.agsolutions.ca/pub/east/r.../gen.cgi/flea_
beetle

http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/fleabeetle.html

Old 04-08-2004, 02:25 AM
TQ

"Anna" wrote in message
| I have posted a couple of pictures on the web of these bugs.
| http://community.webshots.com/photo/...70887500jqBNuV
|
| Anna
|
| "Anna" wrote in message
| | I just discovered a black beetle type bug on my tomato leaves. The have
| | attacked my cherry tomatoes and none other. I noticed them on
dandelions
| | before but not in my garden. What can they be and how can I get rid of
| | them?
| | I live in southern Oregon if that is of help.
| | Thanks
| | Anna
| |
| |

Perhaps you have cadelles?

http://www.forestryimages.org/browse...imgnum=1234043
http://www.forestryimages.org/browse...imgnum=1236002

--
TQ

Old 04-08-2004, 07:52 AM
Anna

They are about 1/3 to 1/2 inch long and have wings. When they fly, it looks
more like fluttering rather than flying like other flying insects. They
don't hop. They hang onto the plant rather strongly. Shaking the plant
doesn't cause them to turn loose. They are black all over with no other
coloring. Hard and shiny.
As I said they are on the on tomato plant.
Anna

Old 05-08-2004, 01:31 AM
TQ

"Steve" wrote in message

| TQ wrote:

| Perhaps you have cadelles?
|
| http://www.forestryimages.org/browse...imgnum=1234043
| http://www.forestryimages.org/browse...imgnum=1236002
|

| Close, but that doesn't look quite the same as the pictures Anna
| posted. cadelles are about 1/3 inch long. Anna, are your bugs that big?
| Cadelle larvae are a pest of grain and similar food products. I
| admit, I have no idea what the adult beetles eat.
|
| Steve

Anna's images weren/t very clear, but the cadellas were the closest match I
could find.
--
TQ

Old 05-08-2004, 01:31 AM
TQ

Old 05-08-2004, 01:43 PM
The Cook

"Anna" wrote:

They are about 1/3 to 1/2 inch long and have wings. When they fly, it looks
more like fluttering rather than flying like other flying insects. They
don't hop. They hang onto the plant rather strongly. Shaking the plant
doesn't cause them to turn loose. They are black all over with no other
coloring. Hard and shiny.
As I said they are on the on tomato plant.
Anna

What kind of damage are they doing to the tomatoes. Several of the
beetles I found the Rodel insect book were beneficial, ie ate other
insects.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Guy Bradley

"Anna" wrote in message
I have posted a couple of pictures on the web of these bugs.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...70887500jqBNuV
| I just discovered a black beetle type bug on my tomato leaves.

The have
| attacked my cherry tomatoes and none other. I noticed them on

dandelions
| before but not in my garden. What can they be and how can I get

rid of
| them?

Judging from the picture, my guess is click beetles. The beetles in
your picture have the right shape and color for click beetles. The key
for me is the way the head angles from the thorax. Click beetles can
fly, but in particular they sort of jump when disturbed, with a
clicking sound (hence the name). I've never known them to particularly
attracted to tomatoes, but they may be in search of moisture.

Since these are eating your tomatoes, a stomach poison, such as
Rotenone, would be a good way to kill them. However, you probably
don't want to be spraying poisons on your tomatoes, although Rotenone
is comparatively benign.

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO
zone 6