Old 08-08-2004, 04:53 PM
faye

Default Red Tomatoes disappear even inside "cage"

HI all-

I planted two tomato plants in my container, and I used some plastic
wiring to wrap around the plants , yes, both side and top. I don't
understand why my riped tomatoe keeps dissapearing??!!! At first i
thought it was the birds, that's why I added the cage, and then now
even with the cage??
The entire tomato is gone, not eaten bits and pieces by say like a
hornworm. I'm puzzled. Please help!
Old 08-08-2004, 06:02 PM
chaz

"faye" wrote in message
om...
HI all-

I planted two tomato plants in my container, and I used some plastic
wiring to wrap around the plants , yes, both side and top. I don't
understand why my riped tomatoe keeps dissapearing??!!! At first i
thought it was the birds, that's why I added the cage, and then now
even with the cage??
The entire tomato is gone, not eaten bits and pieces by say like a
hornworm. I'm puzzled. Please help!

Any neighbors? LOL

Old 08-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Ray

"faye" wrote in message
om...
HI all-

I planted two tomato plants in my container, and I used some plastic
wiring to wrap around the plants , yes, both side and top. I don't
understand why my riped tomatoe keeps dissapearing??!!! At first i
thought it was the birds, that's why I added the cage, and then now
even with the cage??
The entire tomato is gone, not eaten bits and pieces by say like a
hornworm. I'm puzzled. Please help!

I had that happen a few years ago. It confused me until I saw our
neighbor sneak over and pick a tomato.

Ray

Old 08-08-2004, 08:28 PM
Steve

chaz wrote:
"faye" wrote in message
om...

HI all-

I planted two tomato plants in my container, and I used some plastic
wiring to wrap around the plants , yes, both side and top. I don't
understand why my riped tomatoe keeps dissapearing??!!! At first i
thought it was the birds, that's why I added the cage, and then now
even with the cage??
The entire tomato is gone, not eaten bits and pieces by say like a
hornworm. I'm puzzled. Please help!

Any neighbors? LOL

Chaz, my thoughts exactly!

Faye, you need one of these:
http://www.drivewayalarm.com/1000_foot_range.htm
I actually resorted to buying one of these. One evening, several
years ago now, a bear wondered into town and ended up eating 90% of
my sweet corn in a single meal. (2 weeks later someone told me they
saw a bear on the street that night. Until then I was wondering just
how many raccoons had raided my corn and why they never came back.)

The bear never returned but now deer have come into town and
sometimes my yard. I have put it out when I had some bad neighbors
move in across the street. (I guess they didn't like vegetables though.)

When I use it, I place the sensor at the most natural entry way into
my garden. I place it about 18 inches above the ground and it tells
me if a person, deer, dog, or even raccoon enters my yard at that point.

Steve in the Adirondacks

Old 09-08-2004, 03:35 AM
Katra

In article . net,
belly wrote:

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 13:29:28 -0500 in
, Katra
graced the world with this thought:

Try chicken wire?

It's cheap.

...and electrify it.

Agreed... evil grin and don't post it!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 09-08-2004, 04:04 PM
brickled

not sure how big the mesh is on your cage but, assuming it's fairly small.
any critter small enuf to make it thru the mesh is unlikely to be able to
consume an entire tomato in one visit. since you're container gardening, is
it safe to assume you're in an apartment complex where it'd be easy for
someone to steal the maters?

"chaz" wrote in message
link.net...

Old 09-08-2004, 04:31 PM
faye

Hey guys-

TOo funny! No, i'm sure it's not my neighbors. I live in a townhouse
type of house in bay area, my plants are on my deck which is elevated
and I don't think my neighbor will be climbing into my deck to eat ONE
small tomato. ehhehehe

I tightened any "holes" in my wiring cage yesterday, and again, my red
tomatoes dissapear!! What is weird is i planted the root part of the
green onion I got from the store, and 4 out of 6 dissapeared as well!!
However, my pepper plant was left untouched.

I'm very puzzled. I've always grown tomatoes without any problems.

Old 09-08-2004, 04:56 PM
brickled

hmm, if your plants are unaccessible by any unknown humans.....that
definately complicates things....

if the containers aren't too heavy, u may want to try wheeling them in at
night for a while, see if the problem goes away. i would at a minimum start
paying attention to what part of the day/night the tomatoes are disappearing
and maybe setup a camcorder to look thru the slider (i'm guess you have one
that leads out to your balcony) and record what's going on out there. i've
seen many a mystery solved this way. once u catch the culprit on tape, plz
let us know what it was!!

"faye" wrote in message
om...
HI all-

I planted two tomato plants in my container, and I used some plastic
wiring to wrap around the plants , yes, both side and top. I don't
understand why my riped tomatoe keeps dissapearing??!!! At first i
thought it was the birds, that's why I added the cage, and then now
even with the cage??
The entire tomato is gone, not eaten bits and pieces by say like a
hornworm. I'm puzzled. Please help!

Flies inside my enviromesh cage? marystirling United Kingdom 0 25-04-2008 03:42 PM
disappear Sasso Australia 0 24-11-2005 05:52 AM
don't even try to recommend lovingly while you're tasting inside a elder diet O. J. di Giamo, M.F.A. United Kingdom 0 01-09-2005 03:04 PM
where the $%^# do fish disappear to? *muffin* Ponds 5 30-06-2005 06:31 AM
Tomatoes to Stake or to Cage cab97 Edible Gardening 12 30-03-2003 02:20 PM