GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can Citrus be cloned? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/81805-can-citrus-cloned.html)

Rod 16-08-2004 08:21 AM

Can Citrus be cloned?

I have come across a wonderful tasting orange and would like to have a
go at taking a cutting of this. Does anyone know if this is possible
or recommended, if so maybe some links to "best practices" when it
come to cloning citrus.
TIA
Rod

The Watcher 17-08-2004 02:50 AM

On 16 Aug 2004 00:21:42 -0700, (Rod) wrote:

I have come across a wonderful tasting orange and would like to have a
go at taking a cutting of this. Does anyone know if this is possible
or recommended, if so maybe some links to "best practices" when it
come to cloning citrus.

You can air layer them to get another plant from the parent plant. It's not too
hard to do and doesn't take too many materials. The hardest thing about it is
waiting for the roots to grow.

Tim Miller 17-08-2004 04:56 AM

The best way I think would be to get a good rootstock and then graft
your orange on to that. You might want to try a few to make sure that
one makes it. Good luck.
ed

Stan Goodman 17-08-2004 12:51 PM

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 03:56:36 UTC, "Tim Miller"
opined:
The best way I think would be to get a good rootstock and then graft
your orange on to that. You might want to try a few to make sure that
one makes it. Good luck.
ed

Seconded.

In this country, which is very big on citrus plantations, ALL citrus trees
are grafted onto strong rootstocks. Find out what is the usual rootstock for
your area, and go that way. Don't bother with any other approach.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendam.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.

zxcvbob 17-08-2004 06:40 PM

Stan Goodman wrote:
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 03:56:36 UTC, "Tim Miller"
opined:

The best way I think would be to get a good rootstock and then graft
your orange on to that. You might want to try a few to make sure that
one makes it. Good luck.
ed

Seconded.

In this country, which is very big on citrus plantations, ALL citrus trees
are grafted onto strong rootstocks. Find out what is the usual rootstock for
your area, and go that way. Don't bother with any other approach.

I think citrus is usually grafted onto trifoliate orange, which can be
grown from seeds. Trifoliate orange is very hardy (and I think it's
nematode resistant), so if an especially hard freeze kills the top, you
still have the roots and can regraft it to grow a new fruit tree quickly.

Bob