GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   That oddball plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/81841-oddball-plant.html)

Ken Anderson 16-08-2004 06:25 PM

That oddball plant

I have one out of 36 tomato plants that is not true to variety. I planted
(from seed) open pollinated Italians but have one cherry type. Very uniform
golfball-sized with little pointy nipples on them. The plant structure and
leaf characteristics match the Italian plants. I'm wondering if I may have
stumbled onto something new, a la genetics, or did I just get a cherry tomato
seed mixed in?
Ken

Pen 17-08-2004 05:02 AM

Could be something new. I had plum tomatoes one year where all were
well but one plant had paste tomatoes hanging on most of the plant but
cherries off of one branch. Wierdest thing! I believe it's called a
'sport'. How do your cherry tomatoes taste? If they're good, you
might have something to save...

Ken Anderson 17-08-2004 08:52 PM

"Pen" wrote in message
om...
Could be something new. I had plum tomatoes one year where all were
well but one plant had paste tomatoes hanging on most of the plant but
cherries off of one branch. Wierdest thing! I believe it's called a
'sport'. How do your cherry tomatoes taste? If they're good, you
might have something to save...

I don't know. I love sauce, but I can't bring myself to eat a raw tomato. A
texture or consistency thing I guess. My sister and mom liked them though.
: )
Ken