Old 19-08-2004, 06:01 PM
H Hornblower

Default Seedless Watermelon pollination

Can the pollinator for seedless watermelons be any seeded
watermelon? How about cantaloupe? cucumber?
Old 20-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Dwayne

I was told that watermelons are able to pollinate them selves. They get
male and female flowers, and bees/bugs do it for you. I got tired of
waiting so I used a "q" tip a couple of times. I had melons, but I dont
know if it was me or nature that got them to come on.

Dwayne

Old 20-08-2004, 02:15 PM
H Hornblower

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:30:22 GMT, "Dwayne" wrote:

I was told that watermelons are able to pollinate them selves. They get
male and female flowers, and bees/bugs do it for you. I got tired of
waiting so I used a "q" tip a couple of times. I had melons, but I dont
know if it was me or nature that got them to come on.

Dwayne

"H Hornblower" wrote in message
.. .
Can the pollinator for seedless watermelons be any seeded
watermelon? How about cantaloupe? cucumber?

Seedless watermelons require a seeded variety to be planted nearby for
pollination. When I've bought these seeds the packet always contains
both the seedless and seeded varieties.

Old 20-08-2004, 03:45 PM
FarmerDill

Can the pollinator for seedless watermelons be any seeded
watermelon? How about cantaloupe? cucumber?

Seedless watermelons require a seeded cultivar planted among them. Unless you
buy seeds from a supplier to commercial growers, the packet will contain a afew
of a seeded cultivar. It has to be a watermelon, cantaloupes, cukes etc don't
work.