Old 07-09-2004, 04:44 AM
Dwayne

I would order one from a reputable company or business that knows what kinds
are good for your area. and plant it this fall or in the spring. Other
wise, Gary had a good idea. I prune my grapes in February, and the pieces I
cut off that are brown (year old) rather than green, I plant.

I plant them in pots rather than in the ground. I put 2 buds in the dirt
and leave two buds sticking out. Don't let them dry out, and in the spring,
I move mine into a place that is shaded in the afternoon. Those that lived
will put on leaves. I keep them alive all summer and plant them in the fall
when it doesn't get so hot.

Another way is to find an established plant that has long vines. Lay one or
two vines on the ground and cover some of the leaves with dirt (about 2
feet apart) in the spring. Then in fall, cut the vine between the piles of
dirt and dig them up so you can plant the roots under each of the dirt
piles. If done correctly you will get a plant with a good start of roots,
and 12 to 18 inches of vine that is ready to plant.

Dwayne

"Robert La Ferla"
wrote in
message news:aiRZc.107187$Fg5.92463@attbi_s53...
I would like to grow wild Concord grapes. I live in Massachusetts.
Where can I find info on how to grow them? How long does it take? Do I
start from seed? When do I start? I have seen some grapes in the wild
in other cities. Can I start from a clipping?

Old 10-09-2004, 08:59 PM

you can come up here to new hampshire...we've got tons of wild concords
growing here in the lakes district. the fence that borders lebanon high
school from the credit union is inundated with them as is the fence at
mascoma valley clinic.

they don't seem to take being transplanted too well; however, they grow from
seed very well and amazingly enough, they start bearing their own fruit
within 2 years!!!

Old 18-09-2004, 08:50 AM

yes, they have BORNE fruit...already. of course they're better after frost,
a mite sweeter than they are before, because, after all, wild concord grapes
ARE a bit more sour than the cultivated ones.

From: Robert La Ferla

Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:23:37 GMT

wrote:

you can come up here to new hampshire...we've got tons of wild concords
growing here in the lakes district. the fence that borders lebanon high
school from the credit union is inundated with them as is the fence at
mascoma valley clinic.

they don't seem to take being transplanted too well; however, they grow from
seed very well and amazingly enough, they start bearing their own fruit
within 2 years!!!

Great. Have those vines beared fruit yet?