Old 27-08-2004, 08:15 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:25:41 -0400, "Ken Anderson"
wrote:

"Penelope Periwinkle" queried and opined:

So, what's your idea of a tasty pepper?

My problem is that my "must grow" list keeps getting longer and
longer, but my yard stays the same size!

Penelope

I want to find a hot pepper that has that nice fruity, almost perfumey taste
when you first chomp into it. The problem is, the ones I've found are too
hot. The heat overtakes the flavor about 2 seconds after biting. An example
would be Thai Hot. I have some Bulgarian Carrot peppers that are fruity and
aromatic, but as usual, too hot.

Have you ever tried Almapaprika? They're medium hot, very thick
fleshed, and have a sweetness to the heat. They're similar to cherry
peppers in appearance, but much better tasting. I've come to realize
that heat is relative, but since I'm also growing Bulgarian Carrot
peppers this year, I can assure you that the Almapaprikas are not as
hot as the Bulgarian Carrots. I got my seeds from Seed Savers
www.seedsavers.org, but I've seen them offered other places, too.
I've been having a grand time stuffing them and roasting them on the
grill.

I grew the Datils on advice garnered from
this learned group (well, and individual from this group!), but they don't
seem to be quite what I'm looking for. Fun to experiment though. That's
never a waste.

Exactly! I love trying new varieties. And if it turns out that I don't
like them, there are plenty of my friends who love getting my extras.

Penelope