GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree Fungus...please identify (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/82475-tree-fungus-please-identify.html)

york 27-08-2004 02:28 AM

Tree Fungus...please identify

anyone have a clue what this is?

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=alm...1654751&Pres=Y

I live in north east florida, and I believe this to be a myrtle oak.

hope that helps.

york

Pat Kiewicz 27-08-2004 11:46 AM

york said:

anyone have a clue what this is?

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=alm...1654751&Pres=Y

I live in north east florida, and I believe this to be a myrtle oak.

Looks to be some type of gall. These are formed on the leaf by
either an insect (on oaks, usually small wasp, but also small flies)
or by mites. Leaf galls are mainly a cosmetic problem. Best treatment
is to clean up the leaves when they fall and destroy them.

(TWIG galls, on the other hand, can severely damage or even kill oak trees.)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Boron Elgar 28-08-2004 02:08 AM

On 26 Aug 2004 18:28:44 -0700, (york) wrote:

anyone have a clue what this is?

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=alm...1654751&Pres=Y

I live in north east florida, and I believe this to be a myrtle oak.

hope that helps.

york

Do you have any junipers near your oak? Junipers are notorious for
being gall carriers. The ones here in NJ seem to affect nearby
crabapples rather fiercely and your photos is quite similar to what
afflicts by mine.

Boron

[email protected] 28-08-2004 03:15 AM

Do you have any junipers near your oak? Junipers are notorious for
being gall carriers. The ones here in NJ seem to affect nearby
crabapples rather fiercely and your photos is quite similar to what
afflicts by mine.

Boron

Well actually it isn't "my" oak tree. It is in the woods. I have no
earthly idea what a juniper looks like. I am a photographer and my main
interest is in nailing down the taxonomy of whatever that lil' bugger
on the leaf is.

thanks,

york

[email protected] 28-08-2004 02:41 PM

f your interest is truly taxonomic it's interesting that you have no
idea
what a juniper looks like.
Thomas

As a photographer my taxonomic intrest is simply in finding out what my
subject is. I am not a gardener. Unless I take a picture of juniper
then I have no need to know what it is. Although in the interest of
sience I have looked it up. There are no such trees near my subject.
york

Thomas 29-08-2004 04:40 AM

So it was a good day for you, because you increased your taxonic knowledge.
One can not know too much. I have been a professional photographer for 35
years, and if you want to really learn something, learn to garden. Truly,
the more you learn, the more you learn you don't know.
Thomas