GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How long can I leave potatoes in the ground? (in leu of storage) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/82827-how-long-can-i-leave-potatoes-ground-leu-storage.html)

Boboed 01-09-2004 11:16 PM

How long can I leave potatoes in the ground? (in leu of storage)

Dwayne 02-09-2004 11:56 AM

"Boboed" wrote in message

The longer you leave them in the ground, the more chance they have of
rotting from too much rain/water, and insect damage.

Dwayne

Pat Kiewicz 02-09-2004 01:11 PM

Boboed said:

How long can you leave them in the ground?

I harvest my potatoes from under a heavy mulch into December or January
(if it hasn't been too cold or snowy). Essentially, they stay there until they get
used up or locked away by frozen straw mulch. The biggest risk is damage from
voles. Otherwise, they stay crisp and perfect. I've even occasionally pulled
some still good potatoes in the spring.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Claire Petersky 05-09-2004 03:21 AM

How long can you leave them in the ground?

I live in the Pacific NW. I just pulled some up today, and I'll dig up more
when I put the garden to bed in October. But I do my best to keep them in
the ground through the winter, and dig them as I need them. They keep better
in the ground then they do in the fridge. When spring comes, I do my very
best to get them all when I spade up the garden for spring planting. No
matter how hard I try, I always miss a few, which is why I never need to
actually plant potatoes any more.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky