Old 10-09-2004, 12:39 AM
Lost

Default Taking cuttings from pepper plants...

Hello all. I have a question I hope you can answer. In my garden I
have jalpeno, habenero, and cayenne pepper plants. They have been
producing for a month or two now, and I was just wondering if it is
possible to take some cuttings from these to keep indoors for the
winter(or did I have to do this before flowering? If so, what do I
have to do to keep them alive? Will they have to be kept on a certain
light schedule to keep producing, or can I get them back into a
vegetative state(what I want to do) until next spring?

Thank you for your time, and I greatly appreciate any advice!
Old 10-09-2004, 03:50 AM
Thomas

Don't waste your time with cuttings. I would suggest preparing some good
potting soil and amend it with a little organic fertilizer. Dig out your
plants with as much root as you can and transplant them into pots. Add some
lava sand if it's available in your area to help retain moisture. Let them
establish in the pots and give them as much sun as possible. Do not over
water. Most people tend to over water plants indoors in pots. I don't know
what your zone is, but I would suggest that unless you are in zone 8-10 they
will not continue to produce. The goal would be to keep them alive and
overwinter them so you can replant outside after soil temps have warmed.
Then you will have a huge head start on next years production. I live in
zone 8 in Texas and have a chili pequin plant that stays in the ground year
round. It freezes back to the ground in the winter, but has come back for 3
years in a row. I have harvested well over 1000 plus peppers and sun dry
them for use on pizza or whatever. Some I dry in the toaster oven for a
more "toasted" taste. They are great.
Previous to having acreage we kept a chili pequin in a large pot for 7 years
and even used it as a Christmas tree a couple of years.
Your plants have only been producing for a month or two? Hmmm. I've been
getting peppers since late April...but again...it is paradise..( oh
sorry....TEXAS)
lol..hope this helps.
Thomas
om...

Old 10-09-2004, 06:47 AM
Katra

In article ,
[...]

You are cruel... lol

I have a 5 year old Chili pequin also, (a wild volunteer no less) in the
back of the main garden. It's nearly 3' tall and almost as wide, and
produces more than I can use, much to the delight of my cockatoo. ;-)
She adores the things fresh off the plant! It also freezes back each
winter, but comes back strongly and I do NOT prune it! The exsisting
branches come back. ;-)

I'm experimenting with doing some cuttings from it. I did 5 earlier this
spring but the plant was already blooming. 1 of the 5 cuttings survived
and is rooting. I just snipped, dipped, and stuck it into miracle grow
potting mix. Snip it and dip it into liquid rooting compound.

I DO have a greenhouse.
Oh, and I am also in Paradise (central Texas)

On an interesting note, my neighbors _never_ clean their rain gutters
and there are a variety of plants growing in them. There is a small
chili pequin at one end that is producing! It's maybe 1' tall. I'm
considering taking a ladder over there in the middle of the night and
pepper-snatching the plant. G

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 10-09-2004, 03:17 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On 9 Sep 2004 16:39:44 -0700, (Lost) wrote:

Hello all. I have a question I hope you can answer. In my garden I
have jalpeno, habenero, and cayenne pepper plants. They have been
producing for a month or two now, and I was just wondering if it is
possible to take some cuttings from these to keep indoors for the
winter(or did I have to do this before flowering?

Unless they're difficult to get varieties, I wouldn't bother. The
time, money, and effort you put into keeping the plants alive
would far exceed just buying new ones in the spring.

Are you looking to extend your growing season or get an early
spring start? I'm always reluctant to let the growing season
end, and I try a variety of things to keep the plants going
for an extra month or so. By late Nov/Dec, though, there
isn't enough sunlight to produce much in the way of peppers,
and I finally have to let the cold have them.

If so, what do I
have to do to keep them alive? Will they have to be kept on a certain
light schedule to keep producing, or can I get them back into a
vegetative state(what I want to do) until next spring?

I have over-wintered peppers in a cool, dark room before; but it
was only for just over a couple of months. I cut them back, cut any
new growth back, and watered lightly.

Otherwise, to over-winter them in a house, you'll need good
light, regular water, and a place that doesn't get hot air directed
towards it from the heating vents. Watch out for aphids, they always
seem to crop up shortly after bringing the plants inside, and with no
natural predators, they can do a lot of damage in a very short time.

When you take it back outside in the spring, be sure to harden it off
slowly, any leaves that grew over the winter will not be able to take
direct sun. Also watch out for windy days, the wind can damage those
new leaves, too.

Penelope

Old 10-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Linda Barsalou

I don't know where you live, but here in SW Ohio where hot pepper plants
totally freeze out in the winter, I too tried keeping plants inside and
growing over the winter. I never tried cuttings, I usually just dug up
the whole plant as they were not too large and I would just prune them
back a bit. I did this for about 3 years. What I found was that I
often had huge problems with whitefly or aphids. Even when there was no
significant bug problem, they did not produce much earlier than the
plants grown that year from seed and ususally were not as productive
either. It also helps to have more light than just a windowsill
provides. So now, I just start seeds in Feb. to get a good headstart
and I get all the pepper I and all my friends can use. However, I would
be the first one to tell you to go ahead and try bringing both cutting
and whole plants in for the winter anyway, as I think experimenting in
this way is a great learning experience.

Linda

Old 10-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Jon Shemitz

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Unless they're difficult to get varieties, I wouldn't bother. The
time, money, and effort you put into keeping the plants alive
would far exceed just buying new ones in the spring.

My overwintered chiles always produce fruit months sooner than the
ones I start from seed. They also produce far more over the course of
the summer than plants that spend months building a root system.

--

programmer, author http://www.midnightbeach.com
and father http://www.midnightbeach.com/hs
Old 11-09-2004, 02:37 AM
Thomas

Your bird story reminds me when my plant was in an 8" pot in my back yard.
I would come out in the morning and have to constantly do battle with a
local mockingbird that felt like all the ripe peppers were his. I'd yell at
him and he would just sit there and stare at me. He got up lots earlier
than I did so he got the harvest first usually. Guess that's why they call
'em "bird peppers"....
Thomas
In article ,

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ude=0&user id