GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Nematodes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/83345-nematodes.html)

[email protected] 11-09-2004 01:27 AM

Nematodes

Has anyone had any luck with beneficial nematodes in tryin to control
fleas? TIA

Glenna Rose 11-09-2004 05:53 AM

writes:
Has anyone had any luck with beneficial nematodes in tryin to control
fleas? TIA

I can't say they controlled fleas, but I have used them each season and my
cats seemed not to be bothered. However, trapped squirrels are loaded
with them. The difference might be the cats are primarily on the ground
and stay at home whereas the squirrels inhabit the entire neighborhood.

I am one of those unfortunates that a flea will find my ankles, and I've
not had a problem at home though I occasionally do at parks and at other
houses.

Whether the nematodes help is anyone's guess, but they must do a lot
positive as they and the ladybugs are spring additions to my yard and
garden. My garden has been very fortunate with the only problems
discussed here that have manifested in my garden is blossom end rot on
some tomatoes last year. That seems to have been a watering issue since
it has not repeated.

There are many herbs that can be planted to also discourage fleas,
Pennyroyal being one which also makes a great (and pleasant smelling)
ground cover. There are others also; perhaps others will name some of
those.

Glenna

Katra 11-09-2004 06:56 AM

In article ,
wrote:

Has anyone had any luck with beneficial nematodes in tryin to control
fleas? TIA

Somewhat... but they still work best in combination with topical
treatments on the dogs.

At least that was my experience this year. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Thomas 14-09-2004 01:31 AM

Nematodes will definitely help in controlling fleas. The use of
diatomaceous earth will also help, but it only helps when it is dry. If it
gets wet it is useless. The diatomaceous earth is very sharp and abrasive
to a flea and it essentially cuts and abrades the fleas and they basically
dehydrate and die. It is VERY important to use natural diatomaceous earth
and not "D E" that has been treated for use in swimming pool filters. You
can find information on both of these topics on the Dirt Doctor's site
www.dirtdoctor.com
I am not affiliated with his site. Tons of good organic info there.
Thomas

Happybattles 18-09-2004 08:18 PM

wrote in message
Has anyone had any luck with beneficial nematodes in tryin to control
fleas? TIA

Nematodes may help... but nematodes die very quickly if conditions
aren't perfect. Tried them for termites... no luck.

Thomas 22-09-2004 10:17 PM

conditions need not be "perfect" for nematodes. It does need to be moist.
It very well may be that the nematodes you bought were dead before you
applied them.

Thomas
om...

Glenna Rose 23-09-2004 04:25 PM

writes:
conditions need not be "perfect" for nematodes. It does need to be moist.
It very well may be that the nematodes you bought were dead before you
applied them.

Thomas

And . . . the ones I purchase have directions that say they must *not* be
applied in direct sunlight. An overcast or even misty day would be ideal.

Glenna