Old 13-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Teeb

Default Low carb, high fat cute garden plants?

Veggies and such that you can grow like that usually aren't high fat..
spinach is great if you like it and is usually easy to grow..

Teeb

"Ignoramus2437" wrote in message
I am on a low carb high fat "paleo diet". In the front yard, we have a
concrete retaining wall that is a boundary of our land. Beyond the
retaining wall, 3 feet lower, is a public sidewalk. I rented a monster
tiller recently, and tilled a 24" strip of land immediately adjacent
to the retaining wall. (did a lot of other tilling to plant a lawn
elsewhere).

My desire is to plant some pretty, high fat, low carb, edible plants
that are not grains.

I live in Zone 5 (N Illinois).

One plant that I can think of is sunflowers. Maybe I will throw some
corn into it, for looks and for other members of my family, but I am
looking for other suggestions.

Thanks!

Old 13-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Jennifer

Besides avocado or nut trees... very few plants bear high fat edibles.

Since it's already Fall... you have all winter to peruse the garden
catalogs (a fun thing) and decide what to plant come spring.

Jennifer

Old 13-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Teeb

I live smack in the middle of the desert in the southwest US.. I had spinach
in my garden very early this past spring.. it's a great cool weather plant.
I didn't water it any more than my other veggies, which is about every other
day when I walk around with the hose.. I currently still have tomatoes,
several kinds of chiles, cucumbers and planted my fall crop of spinach just
last weekend. Also have tons of various herbs. Cooler weather can usually
help deal somewhat with watering issues.

In article , Teeb wrote:
Veggies and such that you can grow like that usually aren't high fat..
spinach is great if you like it and is usually easy to grow..

Spinach requires a lot of watering, I think, but you made a good
point.

Maybe I will also plant some peppers there also.

Old 13-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Bill

"Ignoramus2437" wrote in message
I am on a low carb high fat "paleo diet". In the front yard, we have a
concrete retaining wall that is a boundary of our land. Beyond the
retaining wall, 3 feet lower, is a public sidewalk. I rented a monster
tiller recently, and tilled a 24" strip of land immediately adjacent
to the retaining wall. (did a lot of other tilling to plant a lawn
elsewhere).

My desire is to plant some pretty, high fat, low carb, edible plants
that are not grains.

That's a foolish diet, you may lose weight for a while, but you may also die
from clogged arteries, cancer, stroke, heart attack, etc., before the next
year is up.

Low carb diet is nothing but a scam.

Bill

Old 13-09-2004, 10:23 PM
Jennifer

Ignoramus2437 wrote:

That's a foolish diet, you may lose weight for a while, but you may also die
from clogged arteries, cancer, stroke, heart attack, etc., before the next
year is up.

Bill, I am not looking to lose weight. I lost weight last year and
kept it off, by eating a moderate carb diet, plenty of meat, eggs etc,
about 25% of calories from carbs, calorie controlled.

This is why it's not good net-iquette to cross post.

People in the garden group will have opinions about your food choices.

Better to post it twice individually.

Jennifer

Old 13-09-2004, 10:32 PM
The Queen of Cans and Jars

Jennifer wrote:

Ignoramus2437 wrote:

That's a foolish diet, you may lose weight for a while, but you may also die
from clogged arteries, cancer, stroke, heart attack, etc., before the next
year is up.

Bill, I am not looking to lose weight. I lost weight last year and
kept it off, by eating a moderate carb diet, plenty of meat, eggs etc,
about 25% of calories from carbs, calorie controlled.

This is why it's not good net-iquette to cross post.

it is, in fact, proper netiquette to crosspost if the original post is
relevant to more than one group.

People in the garden group will have opinions about your food choices.

Better to post it twice individually.

like they aren't going to have an opinion on it if he posts it
individually?

Old 13-09-2004, 11:01 PM
Bill

In article , Bill wrote:

"Ignoramus2437" wrote in message

Alright, anyhow, if we set this issue aside, do you have any garden
suggestions in response to my question that Iposted oroginally?

Peanuts?

Bill

Old 13-09-2004, 11:35 PM
marengo

Bill wrote:

| That's a foolish diet, you may lose weight for a while, but you may
| also die from clogged arteries, cancer, stroke, heart attack, etc.,
| before the next year is up.
|
| Low carb diet is nothing but a scam.
|
| Bill

Please cite the research to back up your claims.

Oh that;s right, you can't -- because it's purely fiction!

LMAO!
--
Peter
Before/Current Pix:

Old 13-09-2004, 11:35 PM
marengo

Old 14-09-2004, 12:02 AM
Roger Zoul

Ig -

Check out this site for some ideas: http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/

I was thinking olive, but that might not work in zone 5.

Old 14-09-2004, 12:02 AM
Roger Zoul

Old 14-09-2004, 02:17 AM
Ada Ma

I saw your earlier post talking about growing chilies - you might have to
treat your chilies plants the way you treat your olive tree if you're
planning to grow them. Otherwise you'll have to seed a new batch every
year.

Do you have a glass house? They perform particularly well in a glass house
from what I heard.

In article , Roger Zoul wrote:
Ig -

Check out this site for some ideas: http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/

I was thinking olive, but that might not work in zone 5.

Thanks. We actually do own an olive tree, but it grows in a huge
pot. We take it out for the summer and will take it inside for the
winter.